6% or 12% UVB for hatchling

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I am getting a Russian hatchling. It will be in a 40 gallon breeder tank, 17 inches tall with about 4 inches of substrate. I am going to get the Arcadia high output T5 bulb and fixture. But I don't know whether to get the 6% or 12%. There will be a screen between the bulb and the tortoise, and according to The Arcadia website a screen blocks 20 to 35% of UVB.
So does anybody have any recommendations? Also, the tank will be 36 inches long, so should I get a 24 inch fixture or 36? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get this right. I figured the tortoise will only be in this enclosure one or two years at the most.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Given all your listed factors, I would go with the 12% and run it for about 4 hours a day mid day. 17" would normally be a little too close, but through a screen, I think it will be just right. At 20" I get readings around 6.8 on my Solarmeter 6.5. At 17 inches I'm sure the readings would be close to 8.5 or 9, but if you filter out 20-35% of that through a screen, it should be just right.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Given all your listed factors, I would go with the 12% and run it for about 4 hours a day mid day. 17" would normally be a little too close, but through a screen, I think it will be just right. At 20" I get readings around 6.8 on my Solarmeter 6.5. At 17 inches I'm sure the readings would be close to 8.5 or 9, but if you filter out 20-35% of that through a screen, it should be just right.
Well, the only other light I would have would be for heat. So it would be pretty dark in there most of the day. I planned on keeping the UVB and heat light on for about 12 214 hours a day. I have thought about hibernating my adult Russian but I will not be hibernating this baby this year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, the only other light I would have would be for heat. So it would be pretty dark in there most of the day. I planned on keeping the UVB and heat light on for about 12 214 hours a day. I have thought about hibernating my adult Russian but I will not be hibernating this baby this year.

I use a regular florescent tube on the same timer as the basking bulb to make it look like daylight in there. I find bulbs in the 6500K range work best. Most bulbs are around 2500K and they look pretty yellowish.

The UV bulb kicks on mid day and simulates that intense mid day bright sun.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I use a regular florescent tube on the same timer as the basking bulb to make it look like daylight in there. I find bulbs in the 6500K range work best. Most bulbs are around 2500K and they look pretty yellowish.

The UV bulb kicks on mid day and simulates that intense mid day bright sun.
I do have a 6500 K bulb for basking. I've never had a hatchling but I've heard that they do hide a lot. There will be plants and places for it to get out of the UV if needed. I'm just worried that 12 will be too much and six won't be enough. I might be able to figure out how to not use the screen top. But I'm not sure I have room for three different bulbs. I'm probably way overthinking this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, I took the plunge and went for the 6%.

SInce I have not used one of those, will you stick your meter under it and tell me what kind of UV output you get out of it. I'm curious.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
SInce I have not used one of those, will you stick your meter under it and tell me what kind of UV output you get out of it. I'm curious.
Yep. I will do that. I talked to the guy on the phone today and he said that 6% would be just fine even with the screen.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am getting the 12% bulbs for my adult Russian. I already have the high output fixtures for those. I will measure them and let you know what the results are.