6 months old marginated tortoise ill?

mezoani

Hello to everyone, I'm completely new to the forum. I tried to find some info regarding my "problem" (I am not completely sure if this is a problem yet...), without sucess.
We have a 7 months old marginated tortoise, who has been with us for a month now. She (or he :)) has been very active and eating a lot, everything seemed more than okay until a few days ago she stopped her usual daily rounds in her enclosure, comes out to eat, but not as often and as much as before, and mostly spends her time in the protection of her shelter (or more often halfway outside, in the basking spot, and halway inside her shelter).
It occured to me that for the past week she was eating way more then before (I like watching her during the day :)) - maybe she was overeating?
We are trying to follow the advice of the care sheets, she gets her vitamins and has a Solar Glo sun simulating bulb, the temperature is about 31-32 C in her basking spot, etc....I am very worried about her and would seek your advice before taking her to the vet....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Please post a picture of the enclosure and if you have any humidity in the enclosure. Also what are the night temps and what is the day time over all temp, other thrn the basking spot? Also I would raise the basking temp to get it between 95-100 F

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
Hello and Welcome. Please post a picture of the enclosure and if you have any humidity in the enclosure. Also what are the night temps and what is the day time over all temp, other thrn the basking spot? Also I would raise the basking temp to get it between 95-100 F

I know a lot of people advocate those kinds of temperatures on here, but I'd personally feel very uncomfortable with a basking spot of 100 degrees fahrenheit for a med species.

Bear in mind that these animals are kept with great success even outdoors in the UK and it never gets anywhere near that hot. Even in their native regions, that kind of temperature isn't common. 90-95 fahrenheit is plenty.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know a lot of people advocate those kinds of temperatures on here, but I'd personally feel very uncomfortable with a basking spot of 100 degrees fahrenheit for a med species.

Bear in mind that these animals are kept with great success even outdoors in the UK and it never gets anywhere near that hot. Even in their native regions, that kind of temperature isn't common. 90-95 fahrenheit is plenty.
By the site I use to convert C to F your basking is reading 89. Get it between the 90-95 you mentioned then. If they can't properly digest their food they won't eat and will not be as active.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
By the site I use to convert C to F your basking is reading 89. Get it between the 90-95 you mentioned then. If they can't properly digest their food they won't eat and will not be as active.

I'm not OP, I was just chiming in too :p