6 month old tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy25

5 Year Member
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and new to tortoise e keeping too!

My tortoise is about 6 months old, and she is very active and has been going in te garden everyday. She munches on the clover, dandelions and some other weeds that are in the garden. But when she is inside all she will eat is courgette, now is this a problem? When she's outside I can't always monitor what she is eating, she seems to love courgette and will walk away from everything Even watercress, rocket andpepper.

Is this ok? Or have you got any tips on other things I should try?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
A diet of massive variety is key. If your tort gets picky, either:

1. Try some tough love. Torts can go without food for a few days and probably won't starve themselves (though I'm sure there are always exceptions to the rule). They'll have to eat at some point.

2. Add what you know they do like into stuff they wouldn't touch. If you chop it all up finely, they don't get a chance to avoid the new stuff. Eventually lessen the stuff they like until they eat just the new stuff.

3. Try chopping the new stuff and mixing it with moistened Mazuri. That stuff seems to work wonders and is completely scarfed down (although, again, there are exceptions). Be careful with Mazuri, though. It might be the new food obsession.

I'm sure there are other more creative ways but this should start you off. Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). As suggested. Chop up the items he won't eat a bit smaller then the stuff he loves. Spritz with water to make it all stick together. He has to eat the others to eat his fave. Then over time put less of his fave and more of the others until there is no fave mixed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.