6 month old sulcata hatchling with white spot on his left eye?

Jakeup42069

5 Year Member
I used a coil bulb for 4 months without knowing the dangers but switched to a mercury vapor bulb 2 months ago and now everything in Tahoes cage is correct ImageUploadedByTortForum1388776519.491097.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388776530.491239.jpg
I haven't been to a herp vet because he had no issues that were life threatening and they're pretty expensive around here. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have no idea . Pm Yvonne she knows of some eye meds . I have seen post of hers but can't remember the names of the meds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jake:

Those darned spiral bulbs. I wish they'd never been invented. You baby's eyes will heal in time on their own, but they will heal quicker if you add some soothing ointment a few times a day. You can find Vetericyn Eye Care at most pet stores, but you can also buy it online. This is what it looks like:

http://store.vetericyn.com/index.php/eye-care/animal-ophthalmic-gel-1-5-oz.html

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
If you used a coil bulb for four months and just noticed the spot within the past few days, I don't think the bulb is to blame (not that the bulb isn't bad). That looks exactly like an ocular ulceration. This could have come about from your tort getting something in his eye or from scratching his eye. I'm don't have a lot of herp experience, but I have a lot of professional small animal experience and this looks like typical corneal damage that cats and dogs get. If you have access to an occular antibiotic ointment, treating it 2x a day for a week should clear it right up. If you notice the white spot getting larger, you should take him to the vet immediately.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please take that tortoise to a qualified tortoise vet and have it looked at. Any number of things could be going on there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jake is concerned about the white spot, but if you'll pay attention to the eyes in general, you'll see that they are squinty and not as open and bright as they should be. I'm fairly certain the problem is the light bulb.

If you can find Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment, that would be better than the Vetericyn, but I'm pretty sure the company doesn't make it any more. A vet might be able to give you some other brand though.

Jakeup42069

5 Year Member
Its funny that you say that about his eyes, this is him the day i received him ImageUploadedByTortForum1389146237.432687.jpg a little hard to see but they never looked like the other sulcatas. Whens alert and wake i kinda shone a light on his eyes and he was responsive to when i moved him around in from of me and i can see his iris and eye white separation, so i kinda just chucked it up to him growing into them since he has no bad health signs (except for his eye scratch which mightve been when he tried to wipe his fake with his scaly legs)

As for soaking him i soak him once a weak, but his cage is always 40%+ humidity and higher (working on getting a reptifogger) and he actually lays in his water dish under the heat lamp pretty often

for the ointment, i found this online not sure if its what i should use or not http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Trust Tom on this. My little guy is coming along fantastic and I owe the credit to Tom and his good advise. ImageUploadedByTortForum1389155750.450774.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
YES!!!! If you can buy that ointment, buy it! I'll bet it comes back "out of stock." That's great stuff and everyone should have it in their first aid kit.

Jenblalock003

Cowboy_Ken said:
Trust Tom on this. My little guy is coming along fantastic and I owe the credit to Tom and his good advise.

COMPLETELY AGREE! I would be lost without Tom and Yvonne and alllll the helpful ppl on this forum! Soooo happy I found this! I owe everything to this forum!