6 mo old Eastern box turtle won't eat

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Live, wiggly food that is small enough to bite is usually the only thing that entices these little guys to eat. If your temperatures are too cold, even the most appealing treats will be ignored.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
When I have baby boxies they will eat worms that are larger than I would imagine they would eat but they still go after the worm. You can also cut them up and they will still wiggle and be eaten.

Dubai roaches or Crickets from the pet store also work great, smash the head a little and they will wiggle around and the turtles attack them

Also I agree with Yvonne, don't pry his mouth open, that will only stress him more and cause more issues. It's best to soak daily, make sure temps and humidity are correct and leave him alone as much as possible

tiffew

Thanks, they are so cute. This makes me really worried something is seriously wrong with our turtle now because he's obviously bigger and should be eating something. Wish I knew how to figure out what is going on with him.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It's a matter of finding something they like to eat. Keep offering food and soaking. Don't stress so much, things will be fine. They can go a while without eating as long as they stay hydrated.

How often are you handling him? I only handle my baby torts and turtles one time a day and that's just to soak them. Once they get about a year old I will handle them a lot more often

ratbones7

5 Year Member
sometimes there's noting you can do. as long as your temps are up, lights on schedule (12hours+ on), and humidity good... i bet he'll snap out of it. i had some go months without eating. soak him often. maybe in some pedalyte sometimes if you are really concerned.

only food mine would ever respond to is earth worms.

tiffew

I "think" he ate a red wiggler. We. Role one up and out it in his carrot soaking water. Eaither he ate both pieces or they are stuck to the bottom of his shell. I regret not lifting him up to look and have no way of knowing now that he's back in the moss. Do I just do this every day and hope if he eats these he will eventually eat other foods?

tiffew

So we got him to eat red wigglers for several days in a row. He seems to enjoy them. He refuses to eat the reptomin sticks and, unfortunately, by the time he wrestles the worm, all the calcium powder is off of it. Is that ok?

Tonight he didn't have any interest in the worm and looked at for a bit and walked away. I tried to put it in front of him a few times, but he had no interest. Is that ok?

Sandy Barnett was helpful with me last week and making the change to a much smaller habitat with fake greenery seems to have gotten him comfortable enough to eat in the first place, I'm just nervous he didn't eat tonight.

tiffew

Thanks, been 5 days of not eating again now. We have tried several different types of worms, but he just walks away. How can he get nutrients and calcium to prevent bone and eye diseases if he isn't eating? Thanks