569 Radiated Tortoises Seized

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
That is so sad! I know there are mean people, but this! This is TERRIBLE!!!!!

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
My jaw dropped...I don't even know what to say, how many of them could have actually made the trip?!?!?! I'd say poor things, but they were actually the lucky ones!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Horrible, indeed. But the fantastic, wonderful, amazing part of it is they were caught, and over 500 endangered torts were SAVED.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
It always makes me wonder how many make it through for every one that is caught. It might be worse if we knew though.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No matter how angry this makes you, please refrain from wishing death/torture/violence on others, thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
dmmj, I understand your position. However,,they aren't "people" worth caring a thing about.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Discussing illegal activities is not allowed on the forum, last time I checked murder is still illegal, feel free to express your anger or disgust without breaking forum rules. Thank you.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
So maybe now all the Illegal Radiateds and Ploughshares posted on this very forum will be frowned upon?

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
dmmj, I understand your position. However,,they aren't "people" worth caring a thing about.

I couldn't agree more. I'm all for an eye for an eye in many crimes. When there is a death like in this, I'm all for an eye for an eye.

dmmj said:
Discussing illegal activities is not allowed on the forum, last time I checked murder is still illegal, feel free to express your anger or disgust without breaking forum rules. Thank you.

I guess I missed the original post. I figured if death was wished it was in the form of punishment which is legal in some states.

Just to clarify my post agreeing with it was in punishment and NOT just for the heck of it which is definitely illegal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DaisyDuke said:
wellington said:

I couldn't agree more. I'm all for an eye for an eye in many crimes. When there is a death like in this, I'm all for an eye for an eye.

dmmj said:

I guess I missed the original post. I figured if death was wished it was in the form of punishment which is legal in some states.

Just to clarify my post agreeing with it was in punishment and NOT just for the heck of it which is definitely illegal.

Yes, my original post, which was deleted, stated what I think they should have done to them for punishment and to maybe discourage others from doing they same.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Oh my lord! SO MANY! I'm glad that they got caught. The good news is that the torts are handled by the tortoise conservation and many will go back to the wild! :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
wow that's a big number!

this may be obvious but i want to make sure i understand, they were smuggling these baby tortoises to be sold in the pet trade? how would they come across so many babies? raiding nests? breeding them?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
dmmj said:

What if we express our wishes that these poachers face a horrific death or other tragedy brought about by natural causes. For example, can I wish that they catch a deadly form of malaria, get a fatal infection from a Latrodectus obscurior bite, or are mortally wounded during a madagascan fossa attack on one of their tortoise hunting expeditions? These sentiments shouldn't break any forum rules, right? Karma is not murder.

In all seriousness, I'm surprised that they were able to capture as many tortoises as they did. I don't know much about radiateds, but I got the impression that there weren't that many left in the wild.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
:( Thanks for posting the article so we can continue to learn about what's going on in the world with tortoises!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
lushcious said:
Oh my lord! SO MANY! I'm glad that they got caught. The good news is that the torts are handled by the tortoise conservation and many will go back to the wild! :D

Where they will likely die.

I am not a proponent of the smuggling, but the other end is not exactly a bed of roses, either.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Baoh said:
lushcious said:

I am not a proponent of the smuggling, but the other end is not exactly a bed of roses, either.

Yes, but even if only 10% of them survive to breeding age, that's 56 critically endangered tortoises that give the species a chance at survival in the wild. If they are kept in captivity, it's ZERO.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
shellysmom said:
Baoh said:
lushcious said:

Yes, but even if only 10% of them survive to breeding age, that's 56 critically endangered tortoises that give the species a chance at survival in the wild. If they are kept in captivity, it's ZERO.

The chances of any Tortoise surviving on Madagascar in the next 20-30 years is next to none........That is reality......The Koreans own the Island, and the native customs that protected these Tortoises are not practiced anymore. The only Tortoises that will survive on the Island are going to be under the protection of armed Rangers. Assurance colonies have already been stolen in situ..........

Status
Not open for further replies.