5 year old Three Toed boxie

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Hello everyone I have a 5 year old three toes boxie. When I got him he was the size of a quarter, now at 5 years old he is about the size of a silver dollar. He gets checked out by my vet on a yearly basis and my vet says that he is completely healthy. But I'm worried that he hasn't grown much in the years that I've had him. Is it normal that he is 5 years and this small?

Here are some pick of him and his cage.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386207223.434972.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386207248.731628.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386207287.018049.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386207315.719885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I would say he's a little small for his age, but they grow at different rates. I like to grow mine slowly and smoothly anyway, so mine often take a while to grow to full size. Your little one looks very healthy to me. :)

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Have you thought about getting a bigger enclosure, or perhaps building an outdoor exclosure for warmer days.. It is a cute boxie.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
For one your he looks very "she" to me for his age. A male 3toed would have developed at least a little head/throat coloring after his 3rd year. Plus she is undersized even as a 3toed. Her Shell is a little concerning to me but not to bad.

Does she ever get any sun? And what is the diet you've been using?

She looks happy :)

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
I'm located in northern utah I have an outdoor enclosed that she;) spends about 5 months of the year in then when it starts getting cold I bring her in and she is in a 40 gallon with a day and night bulbs that put off heat and UVB that runs for about 12 a day. I keep the tank at an average of 75 degrees with the basking spot being at about 90 degrees and I can usually keep the humidity at about 80% . She gets a mix of fruits veggies greens some commercial diet 3 days a week and lots of farmed and gut loaded crickets, mealies, red and wax worms.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She is adorable. Small for her age, yes. But I think they all grow at different rates. I have a boxie that is 28 months old. Yes, 2 years and 4 months old. She is 5.5 inches SCL and 510 grams in weight! I'm afraid she's going to be a monster. Her growth is all smooth and beautiful. But no matter what I do she grows huge. I've never heard of another boxie at this age being this big so I worry I've done something wrong. But again, beautiful growth. So I'm not going to worry anymore. Her parents were somewhat large as well, being three toeds that were probably crossed with gulf coast.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lisa127 said:
She is adorable. Small for her age, yes. But I think they all grow at different rates. I have a boxie that is 28 months old. Yes, 2 years and 4 months old. She is 5.5 inches SCL and 510 grams in weight! I'm afraid she's going to be a monster. Her growth is all smooth and beautiful. But no matter what I do she grows huge. I've never heard of another boxie at this age being this big so I worry I've done something wrong. But again, beautiful growth. So I'm not going to worry anymore. Her parents were somewhat large as well, being three toeds that were probably crossed with gulf coast.

My God! Are you sure she is only 28 months old? I have a male that is ancient, worn smooth he is so old and he is almost an inch smaller and 100 grams lighter than your juvenile! It is probably the Gulf Coast genes.

Small boxies are just as viable and enjoyable as the larger ones so if she is eating and getting everything she needs then you shouldn't worry to much. Are you allowing the temps to drop at night? They need cool down periods so night heat is not really something you need to do unless it gets in the low 60's in your home then you might need a little. I would also look into a much bigger indoor habitat. But she is a cutie. Wonderul color!

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Yes the temp does drop to about 65 at night. And is around 75 to 85 during the day.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
She looks fine to me. I have an Eastern that's almost 5 and is just as small. In the wild they grow slower than captive raised box turtles because they are opportunists when it comes to feeding. I think slower growth is best. As long as you are having her Vet checked each year and she eats a variety of foods, gets plenty of natural sun, and humidity, she should be fine.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Keep in mind they reach adulthood around 7 years old. Yep, she still has years to go before she's full size. She does appear on the small side, but is looking great health wise. You're doing a good job caring for her. She's adorable!

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone I just worry about her. She is a rescue and came from a terrible situation, and I just want her to be healthy and happy.

You guys are a great help!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Saleama said:
lisa127 said:

My God! Are you sure she is only 28 months old? I have a male that is ancient, worn smooth he is so old and he is almost an inch smaller and 100 grams lighter than your juvenile! It is probably the Gulf Coast genes.

Small boxies are just as viable and enjoyable as the larger ones so if she is eating and getting everything she needs then you shouldn't worry to much. Are you allowing the temps to drop at night? They need cool down periods so night heat is not really something you need to do unless it gets in the low 60's in your home then you might need a little. I would also look into a much bigger indoor habitat. But she is a cutie. Wonderul color!

Yes, I'm sure she is 28 months. She was hatched in August of 2011, and I received her in March of 2012. At that point she was 1.75 inches SCL. I also know (not personally me, but the person I adopted her from) her parents. Mom was 7 inches SCL and dad was 5.5 inches SCL. So mom was a big girl. I keep telling myself that even the largest boxie can only grow so big!!....lol

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lisa127 said:
Saleama said:
lisa127 said:

Yes, I'm sure she is 28 months. She was hatched in August of 2011, and I received her in March of 2012. At that point she was 1.75 inches SCL. I also know (not personally me, but the person I adopted her from) her parents. Mom was 7 inches SCL and dad was 5.5 inches SCL. So mom was a big girl. I keep telling myself that even the largest boxie can only grow so big!!....lol

LOL... Yeah they only grow so big but I swear mine are eating me out of house and home. They can be so picky. Mine won't touch the normal fruits every other boxie will eat, strawberry, bananna, etc. They are spoiled for proteins and will only eat mango or prickly pears. Mango I can buy frozen and prickly pears are $0.50 at Kroger so I am ok there, but they go through 50 or more Super worms a week and they are only 3 years old! I started a super worm farm but I haven't got any beetles yet.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Saleama said:
lisa127 said:
Saleama said:
lisa127 said:

LOL... Yeah they only grow so big but I swear mine are eating me out of house and home. They can be so picky. Mine won't touch the normal fruits every other boxie will eat, strawberry, bananna, etc. They are spoiled for proteins and will only eat mango or prickly pears. Mango I can buy frozen and prickly pears are $0.50 at Kroger so I am ok there, but they go through 50 or more Super worms a week and they are only 3 years old! I started a super worm farm but I haven't got any beetles yet.

Mine won't eat bananas either. She eats everything else very well. All kinds of fruits and veggies. But no bananas for some reason.

On a positive note, this monster boxie of mine gets weighed approximately once or twice a month. I weighed her a couple of days ago and for the first time in her entire short life she maintained her weight instead of gained. Well, she gained 2 grams, but I don't consider that a gain. That could just be a matter of when she pooped...lol. But I was actually excited. Maybe her growth is finally slowing down.