4x4x2 Tortoise Coop Progression thread

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Okay, so this weekend, I have embarked on building a night box for my adult redfoots. The design is more or less what Tom has shown us in this thread.

Unfortunately for me, Tom did not bother to write the exact dimensions for each portion of the assembly :p, and me without a table saw. So I'm going to be flying somewhat by the seat of my pants for this one! Fortunately for all who view this thread [as well as myself for future reference], I WILL be documenting all dimensions so future carpenters won't have to do quite as much math as I did.

I finished most of the lid this evening before I ran out of daylight and energy [I have to accomplish most of this during the nights this week while my wife & kids are off on vacation!]. I am taking a day off tomorrow for a herpetological presentation at a local school, but hopefully I have most of the afternoon to work on it. Photos pending!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, where have you've been? Good to see you're back. If it weren't for Tom's idea for the night box, you'd not only have to do the math for the dimensions, you'd have to Think up the idea which is even more difficult:p

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I've been here for a while....just don't post as much as I used to. Yeah, if it weren't for Tom, I wouldn't have even had the idea and probably would have built something too large and 10x less efficient for what I needed it for.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Keep in touch. Show us the progress you make with the enclosure. I'll be posting mine in a week or two. Look for it.
StudentoftheReptile said:
I've been here for a while....just don't post as much as I used to. Yeah, if it weren't for Tom, I wouldn't have even had the idea and probably would have built something too large and 10x less efficient for what I needed it for.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like the fact your going to put in the extra math work and share it with us :D can't wait to see pics:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: 4x4x2 Tortoise Coop Progression thread

Yeah, if it weren't for Tom, I wouldn't have even had the idea and probably would have built something too large and 10x less efficient for what I needed it for.

Seriously! This would have been my story, too.

I'll be copying Tom's box next spring and now I also get to copy your math! :D thanks ;)

Sent from my TFOapp

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Okay, so here's what I accomplished between a few hrs last night and this afternoon...

Most of the lid, the bottom and the frame work for the entire box.
---
Here are the materials & dimensions for the lid (all units in inches):

(1) 48x48 plywood
(2) 48" 2x4s (FYI, actually 1.5x3.5)
(2) 45" 2x4s
(1) 45x45 foam/insulation board
(1) 45x45 plywood (inside piece)

Here's for the bottom:

(1) 44.5x44.5 plywood
(1) 44.5" 2x4
(2) 41.5" 2x4s
--------
This is for the front portion where the door will be. I planned on making my door about 14" x 14"; it didn't quite work out to those exact dimensions, but it was close enough for adult redfoots to get through. If this was for a single adult sulcata or leopard, you will want to make the door opening larger, and adjust the following measurements accordingly. This is one of those projects where you kinda are mapping things out as you go along, but below are what I ended up with:

(2) 15.25" 2x4s
(2) 13.5" 2x4s [Don't ask me how this came out. 15.25 x 2 + 13.5 does NOT equal 44.5 (its half inch off!) but when I put all this together, a 14" piece of 2x4 would not fit in the gap, and everything else measured out...so I just rolled with it]
---
Side & Top part of frame:
(6) 17" 2x4s (columns)
(2) 44.5" 2x4
(2) 41.5" 2x4s
---------

Now that the frame is together, I fear that I still did not leave enough room to put on the outside plywood panels on all sides. In theory, the plywood is 1/4" thick so it "should" work, but sometimes these exact measurements don't match up with reality. Time will tell...

Attachments

• DSCI2040.JPG
    DSCI2040.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCI2041.JPG
    DSCI2041.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCI2042.JPG
    DSCI2042.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 175

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
These projects are fun! You will be pleased with the result even if math doesn't always work out. It helps to seal all the joints and mating surfaces with a silicone. Remember to measure twice and cut once.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well, I got the front and back panels up, but my saw died while working on the other two side panels. Decided to starting caulking what I had, and start haggling friends to borrow a saw for the rest of the week.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Day 3: Got the floor insulation and interior flooring in place. Started cutting side panels when saw died.

Day 4: Got the side panels up, caulked the seams, and got the insulation in place. Also put 3 support 2x4s on the underside, which also serve as anchors to screw the flooring all together.

A couple hiccups in the progress this evening. The first was that I ran out of 2x4s and needed different size screws. That took about 45 minutes out of the evening.

The second one was: as I feared, the lid does not fit. I think I can modify it a tad so it will fit over the box.

Attachments

• DSCI2064.JPG
    DSCI2064.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCI2066.JPG
    DSCI2066.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCI2065.JPG
    DSCI2065.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCI2067.JPG
    DSCI2067.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 108

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
At least part of the feeling of accomplishment that I get from doing a project like this comes from overcoming obstacles along the way. Your night box looks pretty good. Once finished it will keep your redfoots warm and secure.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Day 6: Completed all inside walls & caulking. Finished the lid, and as you can see, I added a support brace for it and some anchors [in each corner] to keep the insulation and inside plywood section in place.

Then I got the door done, which didn't take long.
---
What's left?
  • Get hinges for the door
  • Get paint & paint the thing!
  • Figure out if/how I want to attach the lid
  • Get vinyl flaps for doorway
  • Prepare for installing heating element

Attachments

• DSCI2083.JPG
    DSCI2083.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCI2084.JPG
    DSCI2084.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCI2085.JPG
    DSCI2085.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCI2086.JPG
    DSCI2086.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 77

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lookin good !

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
UPDATE: I have had a very busy month and just got off my rotation of being on-call for my job. I just got done putting primer/sealant on the whole thing, and if all goes well, I should start painting this evening. The weather is already cooling down, and of course, there is never enough time in the day to complete these things on the deadline one desires!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Interesting thread.
I will be moving to FL in a year or two. Can't wait to be able to have a real tort yard whete they can stay out most of the time.
I wonder if one is not handy, do these Igloo dog houses work?
I know what you mean about not enough time in the day. This is my last day of a week's vacay. My main project was to get my newly purchased indoor tort enclosures painted inside and out and trimmed. Mostly done. But I am still working on trim.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
and of course, there is never enough time in the day to complete these things on the deadline one desires!

So true! Just like things always take longer then you expect them too and cost more then you thought, also.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
AnnV said:
Interesting thread.
I will be moving to FL in a year or two. Can't wait to be able to have a real tort yard whete they can stay out most of the time.
I wonder if one is not handy, do these Igloo dog houses work?
I know what you mean about not enough time in the day. This is my last day of a week's vacay. My main project was to get my newly purchased indoor tort enclosures painted inside and out and trimmed. Mostly done. But I am still working on trim.

The igloos do provide some dark, shaded area and can protect against wind and rain. However, they are not insulated well at all. This box I'm building can provide an ideal warm shelter even if it is in the 60s outside. Dog igloos can;t do that.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
UPDATE

I finally was able to prime it and paint it. I have yet to order the RHP but that will have to wait a couple weeks until I get back from vacation. It should be fine until then as is. It is already approx 8'F warmer in there than the outside there. And in just a day, they figured out what it's for!!! You may not be able to see it, but there is a good layer of hay inside. IMG_0728.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator: