4'x4' enclosure arrangement

Status
Not open for further replies.

LagariAsher

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
I got a lot of good information about rehabilitating my tortoise the last time i posted so i wanted to make sure i got his new home right from the get go.

I have built him a 4'x4'x16" pen (one side is removable plexiglas) and wanted to see what would suit him and his space. I plan to keep his water in the lower left corner and his food dish and flat rocks around that area or up in the upper right corner. I also plan to but his CHE and UVA/UVB source on this side (the left wall) at about the mid point. On the right side I planned to keep his shelter (I need some ideas that aren't just a shoe box or flower pot) and some live plant like dandelions and mustard greens.

All of the plants and the water are in trays that lower into the base of the enclosure and can be removed and changes (I assume if I have plants I should rotate them so they can regrow and not let him fixate)

I also was wondering about substrate I don't have read a lot about coco choir but want to know more about what he can live well in. with this should i have options for him to climb on? I have seen bark like material i could put on the walls or i am sure i could build a mound/hill for him

Finally I do need more info on humidity levels the highest I have been able to get anything to is 40-50% but i don't know how to maintain a good level.

Sorry I don't have the ability to offer any pictures right now so I hope I described this well enough.

Thanks,
Asher
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Asher:

Is your tortoise a baby? If not, you don't have to worry so much about the moist substrate. I like the sound of your new habitat. That is a good size and the set-up sounds good.

I've seen a couple pictures here where the keeper placed a half log or half flower pot in one corner then piled substrate up over it making it look like a cave. Those were very eye-pleasing and I'll bet the tortoises really like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.