4 Month Angulata Hatchling Update

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
image.jpg
DOB oct 18th 2016, just a few days over 4 months and I am truely amazed at the rate of growth!!

1/ Hatched 10/18/2016 at 32 grams and 1.5 inches,

2/ Measurement 12/18/2016 47 grams 2.00 inches

3/ Measurement 2/ 22/2017 77 Grams 2.75 inches !!
image.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish there was a way to hit "Like" more than once… I would just keep hitting it, over and over………

Whatever methods you are using to raise this babies are working fantastically. That growth is absolutely perfect. What sort of an environment is this baby growing in? Temps and humidity? Diet? If I ever get this species and hatch a baby, I intend to copy exactly what you are doing!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
View attachment 200625
DOB oct 18th 2016, just a few days over 4 months and I am truely amazed at the rate of growth!!

1/ Hatched 10/18/2016 at 32 grams and 1.5 inches,

2/ Measurement 12/18/2016 47 grams 2.00 inches

3/ Measurement 2/ 22/2017 77 Grams 2.75 inches !!
View attachment 200629
Omg!!!!! This is THE MOST GORGEOUS thing I've ever seen!!!!!! Iove the colors/pattern. Now I gotta go read up on this species:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Omg!!!!! This is THE MOST GORGEOUS thing I've ever seen!!!!!! Iove the colors/pattern. Now I gotta go read up on this species:)
Find a plastron shot while you are looking. The red is unbelievable! Gorgeous on the ones that have it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Find a plastron shot while you are looking. The red is unbelievable! Gorgeous on the ones that have it.
I know! I just did!!!! Omg!!!! Omg!!!!! I must have been living under some rock all this time!!!! Have heard the name but had no idea how beautiful they were

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know! I just did!!!! Omg!!!! Omg!!!!! I must have been living under some rock all this time!!!! Have heard the name but had no idea how beautiful they were
Adult imports have a reputation of being difficult to keep alive for some people. They did a presentation on this species at TTPG, and in order to keep them successfully, you need to let them live outside full time and be in the correct "Mediterranean" type of climate. From what I have seen CB babies all do fine and thrive in a variety of conditions. These things were all over the place in South Africa when I was there. I saw hundreds of them.

I've had my eye on this species for a while and I try to soak up any info and conversation on them that I can find. Many thanks to @kingsley for sharing!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Beautiful. Fantastic growth. The coloring can be so nice on these guys. Great job.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Adult imports have a reputation of being difficult to keep alive for some people. They did a presentation on this species at TTPG, and in order to keep them successfully, you need to let them live outside full time and be in the correct "Mediterranean" type of climate. From what I have seen CB babies all do fine and thrive in a variety of conditions. These things were all over the place in South Africa when I was there. I saw hundreds of them.

I've had my eye on this species for a while and I try to soak up any info and conversation on them that I can find. Many thanks to @kingsley for sharing!

The BCC has a pair of these guys that have produced a few babies. The male is incredibly aggressive. He'll chase your fingers around the pen trying to bite them.

To your point, I believe they were the only tortoises kept outdoors full time that were not put into a heated house at night. Another great resource, and someone who has successfully bred them, is startortoises.net . She occasionally has answered some of my emails, but the website is great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The BCC has a pair of these guys that have produced a few babies. The male is incredibly aggressive. He'll chase your fingers around the pen trying to bite them.

To your point, I believe they were the only tortoises kept outdoors full time that were not put into a heated house at night. Another great resource, and someone who has successfully bred them, is startortoises.net . She occasionally has answered some of my emails, but the website is great.
Thank you.

Yes I saw the one's at BCC and their baby. Didn't know about the star tortoise website. Will look it up.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
What a beautiful young tortoise, that shell is fantastic!

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thank you all!! I am so thrilled as to how this hatchling is doing. belive it or not I have ignored all information that was available and raised it in a relatively humid environment , the ambient RH is 60% i have a spot heat lamp and a T5 10.0 uvb that runs for 10 hours all lights and heat is turned off during night. The ambient temp is 82 F at all time due to the fact that I have my C Picturata and some other that require the higher temp in the same room. All published information calls for a dry hot environment for this species, but I have been to Africa twice and seen them in Namibia and South Africa, the weather in my opinion is hot but defenitely humid especially in the coastal areas of the cape. I had to make a critical decision to keep it dry or to keep it humid, and I chose the latter. That being said I set up one half of the substrate completely dry and the the other half moist in the enclosure, the spot heat lamp was above the wet substrate, to my amazement the hatchling chose to hang out directly under the source of heat in the wet area, and it hangs out in this area to this day. The hatchling is soaked a minimum of 4 times a week and is on a diet of greens , chopped zucchini , and mazuri once a week. I will post some plastron shots soon. I am so glad that I can share this information with you all. Cheers!!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I have never seen a tortoise like that. Thank you for introducing me to this species! Your tortoises have the most beautiful shell I have ever seen. It looks hand painted!!!!! I would LOVE more pictures!!!!!!!