4" law

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
so can someone tell me about this. i found a website that has been in business for 25 years, they sell many different animals. they have some red foot hatchlings for sale and say they are 2-3". im 14 and my parents are interested. there terms say only for educational purposes but many people buy tortoises under 4" for pets. so i just want to make things clear and does it really matter if i buy it for a pet?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, it doesn't matter. They all say that. If anyone does ask you, just say yes, it is for educational purposes. The only way you would not be able to get one under 4" is if it was being imported. They have to be 4" or more.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
By federal law, no business can sell tortoises under 4 inches as pets, or for scientific and educational purposes, It is their way of trying to get around the law. Private breeders and hobbyists are not under such constraints, now as for the law it is not enforced.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can own a hatchling, no problem there if that is what you were asking.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if its your first tortoise.. I'd consider getting one a bit older and established tho.. 1-2 years even...

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I tried to buy a tortoise under 4 inches from a retail store in fla and a private breeder (both in fla), and they refused to sell to me here in New York state... On Rept Marts website it says that you are not to own a tortoise under 4 inches in NY. I was lucky to find a private breeder here in NY that would sell to me. This was just my experience.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
okay and i agree its better to start as a hatchling because then i will be his first owner and he'll become a good friend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.