4" Law Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello Everyone! :cool: I have done some research on the 4 inch law. It sounds like this applies to pet stores, but what about individual sellers? I know I bought my first two Sulcatas when they were only 2 inches. How do you guys perceive the law to be? Also, does anyone know of a good site to research tortoise laws from state to state, as they can be different? Thanks

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
As long as the person selling the turtles or tortoises doesn't have a business, than they are all set. There are a few loop holes to let businesses sell them under 4 inches, like export, education, scientific purposes.
I know kingsnake has a state laws forum.

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I buy my under 4 inch tortoise from a pet store for scientific purpose only. Yah right.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
When I was like 12-13 I had my science teacher write me a note for a baby red eared slider, LOL!!! Not kidding. We kept it in the classroom and observed it for awhile, but then it went home with because it was mine ;)

chadk

10 Year Member!
We homeschool some of our kids - so all our pets are for educational purposes :)

moswen

5 Year Member
chad, i love it! i just use the excuse that everyone on my husband's side of the family teaches, so my tortoises visit their classrooms and get a lesson on awareness... ;)

but that's really interesting danny, i did not know that part about it not being a business... what constitutes as a business? like if you make a profit you have a business, or if you have like a certified state recognized business?

Status
Not open for further replies.