4 female Russian tortoises on the Seattle Craigslist

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
If you have the space get them. It is a big jumpstart to the big breeding program you're going to have someday :)
my parents wont let me get them. but i have the money and the space to care for them properly. how about i send you money and you can buy them and them ship them over to me. my parents wont know and i will have more tortoises!!!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
how can i get the tortoises to my house without my parents knowing?
That is not a good idea on so many levels. you may just have to wait till you were out on your own and have the means gbefore you increase your tortoise population. I know it is hard to be patient, I am terrible at it myself.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That would be an awesome deal, especially with a split scute one. As always too far away.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It would sure be nice if a serious tortoise breeder would get them. I wish I could do it but it is just not possible for me.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
i take care of my tortoises 100% they don't do anything. they may not even realize i got more tortoises.
It would be pretty difficult to hide five more tortoises, even little Russians. And what will you do if they start laying eggs like crazy? You can't hide those.at least not if you want them to hatch.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
so you not going to help me:(?
I'm sorry but I just can't. what if your parents got mad and just got rid of the tortoises in any old manner? Who knows where they would end up in and what kind of situation. you don't want that for them. rocking the boat with your parents will not make your life any easier I guarantee it.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I'm sorry but I just can't. what if your parents got mad and just got rid of the tortoises in any old manner? Who knows where they would end up in and what kind of situation. you don't want that for them. rocking the boat with your parents will not make your life any easier I guarantee it.
my parents would never get rid of my tortoises. i pay for all the supplies for them.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
my parents would never get rid of my tortoises. i pay for all the supplies for them.

I can't not say something. I'm sorry. If there's one lesson I've learned in juggling reptile pets and the whims of parents, it's really NOT that simple. Do not rely on them to accept your decisions unconditionally (much less help you if worse comes to worst and suddenly you DO need their support). It's their house. If they said no to more tortoises, odds are, they have reasons for it: Not wanting tortoise enclosures everywhere, needing that extra space in the yard to not be occupied and unusable. Perhaps concerns about these new tortoises begetting more new tortoises (ahem, breeding) and it getting to be too much for you... They've already said no to more... All it takes is that push over the edge ("Oh, they said no, but they won't care so I'll do it anyway!") for your parents to suddenly decide you can't have ANY tortoises.

If you want to pursue it, talk to them. Find out what their concerns are, why they said no, whether they can be assuaged/worked with, or if the line has simply been drawn. You may find them to be amiable and ready to work on a compromise... Or you may find that you just have to wait until you're old enough and financially stable enough to move out on your own.

And, seriously, don't say "Oh, they'll NEVER get rid of them or make me get rid of them." Because it really, really isn't that simple. I'm 22, work full time (still not enough to afford a rental in this godforsaken state), am fully financially responsible for every animal in this house, even the one that isn't mine... And I still deal with my dad (who has always been very supportive of my animals, and still is half the time, except for being influenced by his irrationally phobic siblings) up and deciding, on a semi-regular basis, that I need to get rid of all but a couple of my reptiles. I'm stubborn as a mule, so it hasn't happened... But the fact remains that I, like you, thought my dad would never be capable of taking such an aggressive stance against my beloved pets.

There will always be more Russian tortoises, and more great craigslist deals to take advantage of. It can wait until you've moved out and are living on your own. Or at least until your parents come around to the idea and give you permission. :)

(sorry, that turned into a novel somewhere along the way. Didn't plan on that. Ah well, I just hate to see you make some of the same mistakes I did!)