3 Toeds- Photos from the pen

AJK Aquaria

Thanks.

I am horrible with remembering plant names. I will need to get back with you on that.

I do know it's mostly clover and grasses, but I did plant certain specific species. Need to check with my father.

AJK Aquaria

Wanted to update this thread...

All the animals were successfully hibernated in a dedicated fridge from mid November to mid April. Thanks to the members and information on this site for all the help regarding this.

The spring weather has been all over the place. One day the turtles are active, the next everyone is dug in tight. Anyways... here are a bunch of photos of the pen and it's occupants.

The green frog overwintered in the small pond. He was up in February for a short time when temps reached into the low 80s. My step son named him Kevin. Turns out he is a male, as I've seen him calling several times this spring
34045920023_a1ca38526a_b.jpg

20170419_080319

Old Shelley in mid April. This was the first time he hibernated in at least 12 years. Hope another season outdoors wears down that beak...
20170419_080224

Male in mid April
20170419_080403

Ostrich Ferns exploding so far. Doing far better this year
20170518_170253

Female enjoying a crawler. Shy, but seems a bit more comfortable with me around this year
20170516_163435

More crawler action, with young Pup walking across the enclosure looking for 2nds...
20170516_163425

Enjoying some nice weather close to cover
20170517_151311

The enclosure in mid May. Everything is growing well, with the exception of my Japanese Maple. It sprouted buds, but still no leaves. Don't think it's coming back. The dead 'tree' on the far right is a weed from last year. I've already pulled it out
20170516_163636

This may be the last time I upload any pictures of this setup. We are moving. The new property is perfect for what I want to do with my turtles. I will have to start on the new enclosure immediately, starting this upcoming holiday weekend. I will be able to give this species a little more room, and a larger water feature. I'm looking forward to it all coming together, but not all the work! We are keeping the current property, so I will have several weeks to get everything set for them. I'm hoping they take the transition well, but only time will tell.

Thanks for looking everyone! Take care now....

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Yours is one of the best outdoor enclosures I've seen! Very natural looking. Thank you for sharing it with us. Awesome work! Good luck with the move. I'm looking forward to following your new enclosure progress

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
I just got one eastern juvenile, saw your video on youtube (you crack me up man with your commentary!)on this enclosure, love it...gives me an idea of what I need to do with mine, thanks

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wanted to update this thread...

All the animals were successfully hibernated in a dedicated fridge from mid November to mid April. Thanks to the members and information on this site for all the help regarding this.

The spring weather has been all over the place. One day the turtles are active, the next everyone is dug in tight. Anyways... here are a bunch of photos of the pen and it's occupants.

The green frog overwintered in the small pond. He was up in February for a short time when temps reached into the low 80s. My step son named him Kevin. Turns out he is a male, as I've seen him calling several times this spring
34045920023_a1ca38526a_b.jpg

20170419_080319

Old Shelley in mid April. This was the first time he hibernated in at least 12 years. Hope another season outdoors wears down that beak...
20170419_080224

Male in mid April
20170419_080403

Ostrich Ferns exploding so far. Doing far better this year
20170518_170253

Female enjoying a crawler. Shy, but seems a bit more comfortable with me around this year
20170516_163435

More crawler action, with young Pup walking across the enclosure looking for 2nds...
20170516_163425

Enjoying some nice weather close to cover
20170517_151311

The enclosure in mid May. Everything is growing well, with the exception of my Japanese Maple. It sprouted buds, but still no leaves. Don't think it's coming back. The dead 'tree' on the far right is a weed from last year. I've already pulled it out
20170516_163636

This may be the last time I upload any pictures of this setup. We are moving. The new property is perfect for what I want to do with my turtles. I will have to start on the new enclosure immediately, starting this upcoming holiday weekend. I will be able to give this species a little more room, and a larger water feature. I'm looking forward to it all coming together, but not all the work! We are keeping the current property, so I will have several weeks to get everything set for them. I'm hoping they take the transition well, but only time will tell.

Thanks for looking everyone! Take care now....

Good luck Adam! Look forward to seeing pictures of the new enclosure in the works!

TurtleMama7

Orange County, CA.
Beautiful enclosure!! My husband is starting to build something similar now for our 3 three-toed boxies.

Can you tell us what your dimensions are, how many turtles you have and how high your sides are? Did you dig down for the sides or is this all above ground? Do you have any barrier covering the entire bottom of the enclosure. If so, what material did you use?

Sorry so many questions but your enclosure is exactly what we are
looking to build! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

AJK Aquaria

TurtleMama-
Thank you. Someone asked me about this before elsewhere so I'm just going to do a good old copy and paste job...

The frame is 10x16'.

Here is what I used(all pressure treated)

6) 2x8" x 10'
6) 2x8" x 16'
2) 2x4" x 10'
1) 4x4" x 10'
2) 2x12" x 16'
2) 2x12" x 10'

Each side is 24" tall. So 3 2x8s high. A 2' tall 4x4 is in each corner. 2' tall 2x4s are in place along the sides for additional support. On the 10' side I placed one at the center. On the 16' side I used 2.

It's on uneven ground, so I dug a trench and leveled it out first. This was the toughest part. Once it was level I just screwed the first few boards in place and built up. At least 6" of earth is between the bottom frame boards to the surface on the inside of the enclosure. It looks buried on the high side from outside the enclosure, due to the uneven ground.

I used 2x12"s for the cap on top. This allowed for a nice ledge and a place for the electric fence wire.

If you have any other questions let me know. The less expensive route would be landscaping timbers.

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
I found one three toed floating-cruising around my rather deep koi pond is that normal? She seemed quite happy and none worse for the ware. I did remove her and release her. Wish I would have gotten a pic now.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I found one three toed floating-cruising around my rather deep koi pond is that normal? She seemed quite happy and none worse for the ware. I did remove her and release her. Wish I would have gotten a pic now.

Yes normal. they love water.

AJK Aquaria

Hey guys and gals

Been busy after moving. Wanted to drop a few pics of the new enclosure from early to late fall of the new enclosure. It's 24x16' and I never really got around to planting it the way I envisioned. That will come in the spring. Once it was functioning I added the turtles. Fortunately, we still own the property where their former enclosure was, so I didn't need to move them into tubs or anything in the interim. It sucked not being there everyday but it didn't seem to affect their well being.

So...
I cannot upload any pics in the thread itself. How do I do This? I'm trying to avoid having the little attachments at the bottom of the post. And I tried the Pic icon and pasting a link into the provided field. I'm pretty much baffled...