1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

3 Toeds- Photos from the pen

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by AJK Aquaria, Jun 25, 2016.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Eric Phillips

Eric Phillips Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Ohio
    I agree Pearly, one of the best natural looking enclosure on here:)
    AJK Aquaria and Pearly like this.
  2. pclare

pclare New Member

NJ
    Outstanding! It depresses me that my outdoor structures look more like cages for security reasons. Your open-top setup is my dream, but my yard is a playground for bears, hawks, owls, black rat snakes, and an occasional raccoon, muskrat, or whatever. I'm afraid too many predators could bypass an electric wire, so my main set up is in a 10 x 20 chain-link dog pen. They probably don't care, but I do. :-(
    The bears could still break in if they wanted to, so I have to be very careful with food so they never have a reason to. They break my fence all the time.
  3. MichaelaW

MichaelaW Well-Known Member

Harlingen, TX
    I feel your pain. It was 96 degrees and 87% humidity in the evening today here in Peoria.
  4. AJK Aquaria

AJK Aquaria Well-Known Member

Well it's cooled off a bit for now... before you know it we'll be bitching about the cold!
  5. AJK Aquaria

Thank you Pearly and Eric. It's very cool to see someone like this setup as much as we do. It's great to read comments like these! I certainly wanted to do a natural looking enclosure. It comes with its own problems, though. Rounding up animals buried deep in mud under a rotted log is not fun nor easy. I generally leave them be, but on night crawler day I want to make sure everyone gets their due worms.

Growing up, I kept quite a few reptiles and amphibians. My room was a zoo. Back then there was no Internet or care guides. My Dad introduced me to making a naturalistic layout. It was fun and possible to do with small, insectivorous lizards. Almost impossible with larger snakes and turtles. Bringing a small piece of nature into your home is well worth the effort. Trying this outside on a grand scale is awesome. Wish I had more room, and will likely change things next season. And the water feature was done at minimal cost. A trip to Home Depot, my local landscaping place and a shovel is pretty much it.

Aquariums are much easier. Replicating the bottom of a lake or stream is more manageable to pull off and maintain. Here's a video of one of our 6' aquariums housing Lake Malawi African cichlids. And followed by a quick vid of our Mexico tank. The latter is an older one, but probably my favorite out of all the videos of this particular tank. They're filmed in HD and should be watched as such. Hope you enjoy...

PJay and Pearly like this.
  6. AJK Aquaria

Thank you!

I kinda wish I had bears around. And rat snakes. We have Fox snakes, which is a rat snake, but it's a rarity to find one. I have the luxury of a fenced in back yard. It won't stop a opossum or coon, but the wire will give them 2nd thoughts. We have deer and critters all over the place. Never had a problem with coons raiding the garbage, which is very easily accessible for them.

Sometimes practical setups make more sense than creating something elaborate that's difficult to maintain. I would say this applies to most 'pets.' In your circumstance, keeping your animals off the menu comes first and is certainly most important.
    Pearly and pclare like this.
  7. MichaelaW

MichaelaW Well-Known Member

Harlingen, TX
    Ha-ha! Yep, we get both extremes here in Illinois. I'll take this to winter any day though!
  8. pclare

pclare New Member

NJ
    Mine is fenced too - it was the first thing I did when I moved in to keep two beagles safe -- but fences can't stop everybody. The bears just plow right through the chain link part, or break the cedar part climbing over. If I see one in the yard I open all the gates and try to direct it toward one. I don't mind the bears, except they're the reason I can't have a compost pile with a million worms. My property borders on a state park where they dump all the "bad" bears they catch in the rest of the state, so we're just used to them. You can have the snakes, though - all of them!
  9. Banjos n Boxies

Banjos n Boxies New Member

Iowa
    Outstanding enclosure and fantastic pictures! Are you in a climate where they hibernate? If so, do you let them go down for the winter in that amazing enclosure? I'm going to guess you're somewhere around Indiana based on the Zombie Dust (jealous you can get a hold of that). I'll just be over here in Iowa with my indoor enclosures and bottle of pseudoSue... being envious.
    AJK Aquaria likes this.
  10. tortoise5643

tortoise5643 Active Member 5 Year Member

Those are the prettiest 3 toeds I have ever seen! Love the cage too
    TortsNTurtles and AJK Aquaria like this.
  11. PJay

PJay Well-Known Member

Greater D.C. metro area
    Do you have raccoons in the area? I'm curious if the hot wire works on them or can they just circumvent it. They are so crafty! I have a pair that crosses my yard nightly along with a pair of foxes. Spring mating season is a regular cocaphony in my back yard! It's fun to watch them all raising their young in the yard but I would like a large open enclosure for the turtles.
  12. PJay

PJay Well-Known Member

Greater D.C. metro area
    TortsNTurtles likes this.
  13. AJK Aquaria

Thank you and sorry for the ridiculously late reply. The enclosure and the majority of the residents are new just this past spring. I will be hibernating in a fridge. Certainly a first for me. And I am west of Chicago about 50 miles. My wife was in Indiana for some work meeting. Her area director is a nut for that brewery so they made a stop. She bought a case. But due to work and a busy schedule my drinking time was non existent for that 2 week period. I had only 2 out of 24. Unfortunately she brought a lot of it to a party... bad move.
  14. AJK Aquaria

Sorry for replying 2 months after your question. There are raccoons all over the place. The backyard is fenced in and we don't see them out there. They could certainly get in, but I'd hope the wire keeps them from coming back. It gives a brutal zap.
    PJay likes this.
  15. AJK Aquaria

A video on the enclosure. I ramble on quite a bit, and an explanation about my absence from YT at the start. That part is fairly quick. The majority is about the turtles...

16. KevinGG

KevinGG Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Santa Cruz, CA
    Great enclosures. Like the pond. Nice Job.
    AJK Aquaria likes this.
  17. Eric Phillips

Eric Phillips Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Ohio
    I said it once and I will say it again, "one of the best natural box turtle enclosure on here!" Absolutely love it and I love Japanese maple trees within any enclosure. Those little trees always give an appealing look to any landscape!
    AJK Aquaria likes this.
  18. AJK Aquaria

Thanks Kev
  19. AJK Aquaria

Wow. Thanks a lot Eric!
  20. TortsNTurtles

TortsNTurtles Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

North East
    I love this ! Thanks for sharing. Your turtles are beautiful!
    AJK Aquaria likes this.