3 Toed Box Turtles

howardjoseph

Location (City and/or State)
Chico, Ca.
I have a lovely 6 year old female 3 toed box turtle (and a 4 year old male) that I purchased from a very reputable Reptile Breeder in Northern California. She and her 4 year old male companion lived outdoors their whole life. I built a large outdoor Turtle Acres for them but they will be mostly housed in a big house that I constructed (no glass). They are doing great for the first 4 months. They get a terrific balanced diet. The 6 year old does not eat any of the vegetables, greens or fruit no matter how much I try to vary them (even mixed with a bit of Tortoise Salt Dressing), She even refuses to eat Zoo Med Box Turtle food. I feed the turtles every other day. Both turtles love to eat crickets and european nightcrawlers (which I breed). I am worried that the 6 year old is eating only a protein based diet. They are both well hydrated. ***Any ideas how to get the 6 year old to eat some vegetables and fruit? Do I withhold the crickets and worms until she eats food? I would appreciate sharing your experience. We love the Box Turtles-they are excellent teachers of PATIENCE. Howard and Lorna

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Box turtles can be very selective eaters. When they are really hungry, such as when they first come out of brumation, they are willing to eat almost anything. This is a good time to habituate them to eat other foods.