3 toed box turtle habitat specifics

0nCominstrm

New to the forum. I got a 3 toed male box turtle (possibly a 3 toed/gulf coast hybrid) I'm concerned about some of his behavior.
He appears healthy clear eyes and nose and good wait. It seems all he had been doing is sleeping in his hide. He never comes out unless I prompt him to come out. He will eat and drink when I show him the food and I'm feeding him a variety of earthworms, mealworms, box turtle food and a mix of different fruits on occasion. but other than that he hides and doesn't bask for heat or soak in his pool either.
I'm using a tubberware container for now until I can get something more permanent. I'm trying a new substrate for him and my Russians a coco coir and cypress mulch mix to reduce the dust. I'm spraying the enclosure twice a day to increase humidity.
I'm also using a 100 watt uvb/Uva heat bulb. I've done everything I know to do. Any suggestions would help. Eventually I will do an outdoor enclosure but that is long term future plans because we live in an apartment. Here are some pictures of the enclosure and of the boxie we call him thorn. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436386959.679948.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436386979.448240.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436387010.968941.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436387056.162283.jpg

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
What an awesome looking 3 toed. Personally, I am not a fan of using cypress mulch except in moderation for various reasons(repels water, can cause issues for the turtle when consumed, sticks to worms, etc.. I would replace it with sphagnum moss. Awesome looking dude.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...I'd rather use clean dirt from outside for box turtles than cypress mulch. But you use whatever works for you. That's really what it boils down to.

Welcome to the Forum!

What a pretty box turtle.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Gorgeous box turtle! He is eating and is bright eyed. I'd say he's healthy and there's nothing to worry about. I also do not like cypress myself. I use 100% organic peat moss for my boxies.

Also, I myself have a three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle. As well as a three toed.

0nCominstrm

I guess my main concern is his inactivity. Is it possible I don't have it warm enough or too warm. Humidity levels etc. is this normal behavior or is there something I'm missing?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's pretty normal, Awesome looking little one btw.