3-toed Box Turtle adult Male needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

natureguy

5 Year Member
Have female 3-toed Box. Was an adoption. I never had any intention of keeping any turtles... Now I feel obligated to find her a mate so that her destiny will be fulfilled! I would say that I have gotten rather attached to her!

I have a very secure enclosure outdoors. I live in an area that rarely ever freezes... but box turtles usually have at least a partial dormancy. I have an abundance of plant and animal material that I raise myself organically. Have a large wildlife garden here...trees, shrubs and all kinds of exotic stuff!

I have limited finances but will cover any shipping costs (unless you are in So. California?) And a small fee for whatever expences have incurred for caring for him.

I will not take a turtle that is ill as the stress from shipping him would be a big mistake!

Thanks,
Michael :tort:_ _ _:tort:_ _ _

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
In the event that you do find a male, please remember that his instinct is to mate at every opportunity, and to hit the road looking for more. If you deny her the means to escape, you will put her into an abusive situation that can be dangerous. We keepers interfere with destiny. She is not lonely & would be perfectly content in solitude without egg laying. If you want a breeding colony you'll need another female or two.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Johnsonnboswell has given you superb advice! If you must get a male then you must get a few more females. A harem takes the constant mating stress off one female. My male mates with one of his 3 females at least 2-3 times weekly. And mating comes with courtship, which is just a fine line away from constant bullying. That is too much pressure on a single female. You need several to keep the stress spread out. If you really want to get your turtle a friend then get another female and they'll hang out. But they do perfectly well all by themselves!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Good advice above that I will add to.

Any newcomer must be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months to ensure that neither tort makes the other sick.

When you introduce them, regardless of gender, your female may well decide that the invader to her territory is not welcome and set about make sure they leave quickly. Females can bully just as badly as males.

They are largely solitary in the wild; they meet up to mate and move on. In small captive enclosures this causes problems. Groups of 3 or more can work in large outdor enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.