3 Sulcatas in Virginia

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 3 sulcatas that live in the Northern Neck of Virginia just across the Potomac River from Southern Maryland. The oldest is Walker, 24 years old that I raised from a hatchling. He is from a breeder in Texas. He lives outside all year and has free range daily. At his last weigh in a few months ago he weighed 147 pounds. Picture 016 copy.jpgPicture 017 copy.jpg The next is Donald. He was breed here in Virginia but hatched out in Florida. I raised Enoch his mother from a hatchling who came from Arizona and now lives in Jupiter Florida. Donald hatched out the first week of August 2019 and had him shipped up to me at about a month old. He is growing at a good rate and now living outside. His weight today is 7 pounds 2 oz.Picture 024 copy.jpgPicture 012.jpg The next is Thomas. He comes from California from a breeder some of you might know, @Tom. He hatched on March 7 of this year. I received him at 3 months old and he is doing great. His weight today is 366 grams. Picture 001.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 007 copy.jpgPicture 010.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
My hat is off to you! Raising such large tortoises in a cold winter area I can only imagine the work! And what a beautiful job you have done!
Thank you, It's not really that difficult if you plan ahead for everything that could possibly go wrong. Building a house that will hold it's heat for a few hours if there is a power outage during very cold severe windy cold weather. Giving you time to get the backup power up and running. I even have back ups for the back up system, which I have never needed to use.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you, It's not really that difficult if you plan ahead for everything that could possibly go wrong. Building a house that will hold it's heat for a few hours if there is a power outage during very cold severe windy cold weather. Giving you time to get the backup power up and running. I even have back ups for the back up system, which I have never needed to use.
Wow Len. That really makes me want a baby, but darn, they are just too much work. Such pretty tortoises, you've done a very nice job.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow Len. That really makes me want a baby, but darn, they are just too much work. Such pretty tortoises, you've done a very nice job.
Thanks Maggie. When I bought Walker in 1996 as a hatchling I knew what i was getting into for the long run. And didn't have the internet to help, but had some knowledge of tortoise care from when I was importing reptiles in the 70s.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I weighed all 3 of my sulcatas today and they all are growing at a good rate. Thomas reached one pound Picture.jpg Donald hit the 8 pound mark Picture 017.jpgPicture 014.jpgPicture 012.jpg and Walker weighed in at 157.8 poundsPicture 011.jpgPicture 008.jpg We've had some chilly temps for several days but supposed to get back into the 70s this week.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I weighed all 3 of my sulcatas today and they all are growing at a good rate. Thomas reached one pound View attachment 309248 Donald hit the 8 pound mark View attachment 309249View attachment 309250View attachment 309251 and Walker weighed in at 157.8 poundsView attachment 309252View attachment 309253 We've had some chilly temps for several days but supposed to get back into the 70s this week.
OMG!!! Walker is an outstanding example of growth in Sulcata. Look at the growth lines. Wow , they are beautiful, great job!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I weighed all 3 of my sulcatas today and they all are growing at a good rate. Thomas reached one pound View attachment 309248 Donald hit the 8 pound mark View attachment 309249View attachment 309250View attachment 309251 and Walker weighed in at 157.8 poundsView attachment 309252View attachment 309253 We've had some chilly temps for several days but supposed to get back into the 70s this week.
WOW! 150lbs! and 24 years old! Makes me wish I could weigh Dudley.

Len B

10 Year Member!
WOW! 150lbs! and 24 years old! Makes me wish I could weigh Dudley.
The way I figured out how to get an accurate weight is using a digital bathroom scale and turning him over onto it. It takes 3 people to do it. 2 to turn him over and one to read the scale. It's also nice to see what his bottom looks like, something I hadn't seen for years because of his size. He is only upside down for a couple seconds.