3 Sulcatas in Virginia

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I would love to watch a video of Walker going to town on a pumpkin ?

He's majestic

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Christmas Eve we had temps in the 60s with rain off and on. Went I went to bed that night around midnight it was 57 and when I got up at 5:30 it was 52 degrees. The temp dropped all morning and the sky was supposed to clear but the clouds stayed and this is what happened.Picture 004.jpgPicture 002.jpg It was a pretty snow, it stuck to the tree limbs. fences and just about everything except the roadways. With the winds and low barometric pressure neither Walker or Donald came out of their houses all day. This morning it was 22 degrees and all 7 (3 in donalds and 4 in walkers) of the sending units in both houses were above 80 degrees. Today they both came out to eat.Picture 008.jpgPicture 018.jpgPicture 012.jpgPicture 027.jpgPicture 017.jpgPicture 023.jpgPicture 020.jpg It stayed near freezing all day, Walkers pumpkin is full of ice.Picture 024.jpg It's 27 degrees outside right now and the sending units are reading 82 to 85, right where I like them to stay.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Winter here so far has been pretty much normal and the temps have been close to average. Walker, Donald and Thomas are doing fine. Walker only comes out of his house once a day, Today he came out to eat at 4:15pm. He usually goes to the other side of the yard to graze for a bit and head back to his house to eat whatever food items I have put out for him.Picture 024.jpgPicture 026.jpgPicture 028.jpgDonald has been coming out to eat 3 times a day, the first time is around 10am and the last time around 4pmPicture 002.jpgPicture 016.jpgPicture 020.jpgDonald is good at coming out and going back in to warm up so I increased his yard size a little.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Thomas is happy staying inside this winter.Picture 029.jpgHe is growing at a good rate. Here he is at 10 monthsThomas at 10 months.jpgand here is Donald at 10 monthsDonald at 10 months.jpgDonald is heavier at 10 months than Thomas at 10 months but I believe he will catch up in time.I think the difference is I got Donald at 1 month old and Thomas at 3 months old to start caring for them my way. Here is what I picked from my yard today for Thomas and Donald. It will feed them for a couple days along with some store bought items and opuntia. One is a variety of weeds and the other is mostly grasses.Picture 010.jpgPicture 012.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's not that difficult once you get everything set up properly and consider all the mishaps that could happen year round weather wise, and have a plan to deal with them when letting them stay outside all year. The bigger they are the easier they are to care for outside because they hold body temps longer and gives them more time outside before returning to their heated house to warm up when the outside air and ground temps are cold. I had 5 adults (3 females and 2 males) here for a while. I raised 4 of them and one was an adoption after it's owner passed. The adopted one which had never been outside and was very deformed, but knew how and when to go in and out of it's house from day one depending on the weather. He even came out in snowy weather and returned to his heated house to warm up.
OK...I want Donald. How we gonna do this? lol Man I am impressed. What a freakin beautiful Sulcata tortoise in all his glory!!!!!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
OK...I want Donald. How we gonna do this? lol Man I am impressed. What a freakin beautiful Sulcata tortoise in all his glory!!!!!!!
Thanks Maggie, Here are some pics taken of Thomas today who is doing quite well also. It was nice enough to give him some outside time.Picture 008.jpgPicture 007.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
We are having another spring tease day here at the beach. Everybody is out and about enjoying the sunshine. Thomas,Picture 016 copy.jpgDonald is happy with with his new added roaming spacePicture 006.jpgPicture 008.jpgSince Walker staying in his house all day yesterday he ventured out earlierPicture 005.jpgI'll take every day like this at this time of year I can get because we could a foot of snow next week.

Katie11

Baker fl
We are having another spring tease day here at the beach. Everybody is out and about enjoying the sunshine. Thomas,View attachment 319152Donald is happy with with his new added roaming spaceView attachment 319153View attachment 319154Since Walker staying in his house all day yesterday he ventured out earlierView attachment 319155I'll take every day like this at this time of year I can get because we could a foot of snow next week.
I know how u feel...north Florida isn't always sunny and warm...we are in low 80s this week but I'm sure we are headed for another cold snap...it drives me crazy with the indecisive weather...I'm ready to sow some new seeds for my guy to munch on but I'm scared a frost will kill my sprouts...ready for real spring

Len B

10 Year Member!
I know how u feel...north Florida isn't always sunny and warm...we are in low 80s this week but I'm sure we are headed for another cold snap...it drives me crazy with the indecisive weather...I'm ready to sow some new seeds for my guy to munch on but I'm scared a frost will kill my sprouts...ready for real spring
You just reminded me I have some milkweed seeds that I've kept cold inside and they need to be planted. Thanks

ReiGuy

NJ
I have 3 sulcatas that live in the Northern Neck of Virginia just across the Potomac River from Southern Maryland. The oldest is Walker, 24 years old that I raised from a hatchling. He is from a breeder in Texas. He lives outside all year and has free range daily. At his last weigh in a few months ago he weighed 147 pounds. View attachment 307768View attachment 307769 The next is Donald. He was breed here in Virginia but hatched out in Florida. I raised Enoch his mother from a hatchling who came from Arizona and now lives in Jupiter Florida. Donald hatched out the first week of August 2019 and had him shipped up to me at about a month old. He is growing at a good rate and now living outside. His weight today is 7 pounds 2 oz.View attachment 307775View attachment 307776 The next is Thomas. He comes from California from a breeder some of you might know, @Tom. He hatched on March 7 of this year. I received him at 3 months old and he is doing great. His weight today is 366 grams. View attachment 307781View attachment 307782View attachment 307783View attachment 307784

They're all beautiful! Walker's smile makes me smile just as big :)