3 radiated tortoises.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Now these guys seem to be settled in I've weighed, measured and taken photos for future reference. My daughter has named them too.
There's some pyramiding going on and 2 of them have split scutes. Let's see how we progress. I'm told these are mid 2016 babies.

Holly = 7.2cm SCL & 100g.
Olive = 7.6cm SCL & 96g.
Berry = 8.6cm SCL & 153g.

Holly.
IMG_1814.JPG IMG_1815.JPG IMG_1816.JPG

Olive
IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1818.JPG IMG_1819.JPG

Berry
IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1821.JPG IMG_1822.JPG

Bambam1989

East Texas
Lovely little rad torts!
What is their humidity averaging in your enclosure? I am eager to see if you are able to prevent any further pyramiding. Are rads prone to pyramiding the same way as stars and leopards?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Growing steady now.
Holly = 107g
Olive = 111g
Berry = 166g.

Olive has gained 15g in 4 weeks. She was the one that was blocked.

I've also noticed they don't use the dark end of the enclosure, EVER. It's a 6 ft viv with a 3ft uvb tube covering half the enclosure. They never ever go to the darker end. I'll add another tube at the dark end and see what happens.
IMG_2051.JPG

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
I’m not sure you have any pyramiding. One has a scute deformity, but that’s common and not your fault.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I’m just sticking weights on here from time to time so I can look back.

Holly -116g
Olive -117g
Berry -162g

Berry has lost 4g in 2 months. Not good.

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
Not sure how prone this species is to pyramiding.
My daytime humidity is around 80% and night time is 90%+. I soak every day without fail. I'm eager to see what happens.

One guy I know does not try to control humidity, and just bathes them daily as babies and does not have pyramiding, and he told me his is about as high as your daytime. I think if you keep up the route you are going it will correct itself.

I do soaks three times a week, and have a lower overall humidity, and spray water a few times a day, and the ones I have have all straightened out their shells. They had pyramiding when I got them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not sure how prone this species is to pyramiding.
My daytime humidity is around 80% and night time is 90%+. I soak every day without fail. I'm eager to see what happens.
They aren't the most prone to pyramiding, but they will pyramid if raised to dry in a dry climate:
IMG_4235.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4185.JPG
    IMG_4185.JPG
    855.2 KB · Views: 68

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
One guy I know does not try to control humidity, and just bathes them daily as babies and does not have pyramiding, and he told me his is about as high as your daytime. I think if you keep up the route you are going it will correct itself.

I do soaks three times a week, and have a lower overall humidity, and spray water a few times a day, and the ones I have have all straightened out their shells. They had pyramiding when I got them.
Can we see photos of your rads please?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very nice Tom. Did I read somewhere that you have 3 radiated, if so share your photos please.
I feed mine the same thing as all my other species: Grass, grass hay, a large assortment of weeds, a large assortment of leaves (hibiscus, lavatera, mulberry, grape vine leaves, etc…), lots of opuntia for half the year, occasional Mazuri (Original only), some flowers (Gazania, lavatera, hibiscus, African hibiscus, blue hibiscus, geraniums, hollyhocks, dandelion, roses, etc…), and I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking of…

Here is my trio of girls, fresh out of their soaking tub on the right there:
Rads.JPG

The two bigger ones are over 16" and the smaller one is around 15". They are all over 10 years old now. I really need to get a male, but I'm terrified of introducing any disease into my current healthy tortoise paradise. They have a large enclosure with many offshoots and corners and they use all of it.

Cwilder

5 Year Member
Those look great. I had 7 or 8 Radiata 13 years ago and sold all of them. I'm kicking myself seeing this group.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Now these guys seem to be settled in I've weighed, measured and taken photos for future reference. My daughter has named them too.
There's some pyramiding going on and 2 of them have split scutes. Let's see how we progress. I'm told these are mid 2016 babies.

Holly = 7.2cm SCL & 100g.
Olive = 7.6cm SCL & 96g.
Berry = 8.6cm SCL & 153g.

Holly.
View attachment 225670 View attachment 225671 View attachment 225672

Olive
View attachment 225673 View attachment 225674 View attachment 225675

Berry
View attachment 225676 View attachment 225677 View attachment 225678

Oh wow! Craig! I have really been missing out on some awesome news on here! Had no idea you were getting into the Radiateds! They are absolutely gorgeous!!!!! Congratulations!!!!❣️[emoji217]

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I feed mine the same thing as all my other species: Grass, grass hay, a large assortment of weeds, a large assortment of leaves (hibiscus, lavatera, mulberry, grape vine leaves, etc…), lots of opuntia for half the year, occasional Mazuri (Original only), some flowers (Gazania, lavatera, hibiscus, African hibiscus, blue hibiscus, geraniums, hollyhocks, dandelion, roses, etc…), and I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking of…

Here is my trio of girls, fresh out of their soaking tub on the right there:
View attachment 234413

The two bigger ones are over 16" and the smaller one is around 15". They are all over 10 years old now. I really need to get a male, but I'm terrified of introducing any disease into my current healthy tortoise paradise. They have a large enclosure with many offshoots and corners and they use all of it.
Tom. Do you supplement your rads with any sort of calcium powder?