3 Month Old Seems Lethargic, Soft Plastron

N

no one

I am so sorry for your loss... I know how it feels, lost my Sterretje the same way. I take comfort in the time Sterretje did spend with me. Rhae and Sterretje where loved!! We did the best we could. And they felt that, I am sure of it!! Stay strong...

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
So sorry for you loss. :( I hope one day you can experience another tortoise in your life, when you're ready

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
So sorry for you loss. :( I hope one day you can experience another tortoise in your life, when you're ready

Thank you. I have my Russian Walter and my 4 aquatic turtles and I love them so much and I have them to help me through this! I wanted to have a baby too but I guess some other day I will take up the challenge again. Thank you for your kind words.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thank you. I have my Russian Walter and my 4 aquatic turtles and I love them so much and I have them to help me through this! I wanted to have a baby too but I guess some other day I will take up the challenge again. Thank you for your kind words.
I'm glad to hear that. Sometimes I worry an unsuccessful experience with a hatchling will prevent people from wanting to try again [emoji852]️

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I'm very sad for you
It saddens me every time I see this, but it looks like you are learning the lesson of: It doesn't matter how well you care for your new tortoise and how much you love it, if the breeder did too much damage through chronic dehydration.

Keep trying. Some of them pull through.
If this is not a good example of getting your tortoise from a reputable breeder, I don't know what is. I'm very sad for you Chloe.

Kaeloni

Montana
I’m so sorry. I’ve gone through the exact same thing. My very first tortoise was a hatchling Russian tortoise that I ordered from a breeder on FB. I didn’t know what questions to ask. I stupidly assumed that breeders know what they’re doing. My baby arrived and was lethargic, wouldn’t open its eyes and would mouth at food but not successfully eat it. I did everything I could. Warm soaks daily, high heat and humidity but the poor baby died in less than a month. It seemed dead for days before it truly was. I was heartbroken and felt like such a failure. After joining this forum, I’ve found that several people have had this experience. I’m truly sorry for your loss.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So sorry for your loss, I too just lost my little guy Dax lastnight :(
Very sad to hear this. My heart breaks for these tiny babies and their horrible suffering, and for their keepers, who try so hard, only to be devastated when their best efforts fail.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Very sad to hear this. My heart breaks for these tiny babies and their horrible suffering, and for their keepers, who try so hard, only to be devastated when their best efforts fail.

It's very hard to watch this happen over and over :( I feel especially bad for what the keepers go through, especially if it's their first tortoise.

My sympathies to all :<3::tort:

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
I’m so sorry. I’ve gone through the exact same thing. My very first tortoise was a hatchling Russian tortoise that I ordered from a breeder on FB. I didn’t know what questions to ask. I stupidly assumed that breeders know what they’re doing. My baby arrived and was lethargic, wouldn’t open its eyes and would mouth at food but not successfully eat it. I did everything I could. Warm soaks daily, high heat and humidity but the poor baby died in less than a month. It seemed dead for days before it truly was. I was heartbroken and felt like such a failure. After joining this forum, I’ve found that several people have had this experience. I’m truly sorry for your loss.

Wow we had pretty much the same experience. I was at a reptile show so I didn’t think about who I was buying from, I only knew pet stores were bad. Lesson unfortunately learned the hard way...