3 Month Old Seems Lethargic, Soft Plastron

Chloebark

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Indiana
How is Rhae doing now?

Nothing seems to have changed except that Rhae is more active. I’ve tried blending grasses and lettuces for him to eat more easily but he won’t eat when I blend his food, so I’ve been cutting up everything as small as I can so it’s bite-sized to make sure he’s eating more. As of now there’s still no weight gain. Rhae seems happy and more active so I’m still waiting for anything else to change.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Nothing seems to have changed except that Rhae is more active. I’ve tried blending grasses and lettuces for him to eat more easily but he won’t eat when I blend his food, so I’ve been cutting up everything as small as I can so it’s bite-sized to make sure he’s eating more. As of now there’s still no weight gain. Rhae seems happy and more active so I’m still waiting for anything else to change.
I think "more active" is a big step forward! Sounds like he's getting more to eat, so feels better. It's "more lethargic" that we hate to hear!
I forget...have you tried mushed up Mazuri?

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
I think "more active" is a big step forward! Sounds like he's getting more to eat, so feels better. It's "more lethargic" that we hate to hear!
I forget...have you tried mushed up Mazuri?

Yes you’re right! Rhae has been much more active and when my boyfriend fed him after work today he said he actually ate everything! Also I have been trying to mash up some mazuri and mix it in with greens for him to eat because if I try the mazuri alone he doesn’t eat it. Not sure if he’s eating it when it’s mixed in with the greens because I always give him so much food...I will try to pay more attention.

And to answer your other question: yes, his plastron is still soft. The vet had said it may stay soft for a while since he’s so young so I’m just trying to give him sunlight and all the food his little heart desires!

Daniel Torres

I am having the same issues as you had in the beginning. My Oogway stopped eating 3 days ago... no interest and just yesterday shut its eyes and seems less active. I have an open post already but just wanted to chime in and say I hope your tortoise gets better. Mine is currently on the down side and hope I have better luck and success like you seem to be having. I don't have any real breeder info since i picked this guy up at a local reptile store... which could be the problem. I know they were feeding them iceberg lettuce and carrots which everywhere I read is a bad thing.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I am having the same issues as you had in the beginning. My Oogway stopped eating 3 days ago... no interest and just yesterday shut its eyes and seems less active. I have an open post already but just wanted to chime in and say I hope your tortoise gets better. Mine is currently on the down side and hope I have better luck and success like you seem to be having. I don't have any real breeder info since i picked this guy up at a local reptile store... which could be the problem. I know they were feeding them iceberg lettuce and carrots which everywhere I read is a bad thing.
Oh no! I hope you are able to get him healthy again!

Chloebark

Northern Indiana

Oh man I’m so sorry you’re going through this! It’s awful feeling so helpless when you’re doing everything right. I really hope yours turns around!

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
I walked into my tortoise room yesterday and checked on Rhae. Usually I find him sleeping away. Yesterday he was munching on some of his leftover breakfast! I haven’t seen it doing that before! I’m still waiting for some weight gain but my little guy (or girl) seems to be doing SO much better!

I’m so happy [emoji16]

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I walked into my tortoise room yesterday and checked on Rhae. Usually I find him sleeping away. Yesterday he was munching on some of his leftover breakfast! I haven’t seen it doing that before! I’m still waiting for some weight gain but my little guy (or girl) seems to be doing SO much better!

I’m so happy [emoji16]

Great....progress!

Bee62

Germany

I’m so happy [emoji16]
Yeah ! Great news !

daniellenc

Maryland
Aww he’s growing up and getting better! I always find mine eating his leftover dinner in the am but he was slow to eat when I first got him. Now he’s nearly 300 grams and a year old. Tell Rhae good job from me!

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
Unfortunately Rhae passed during the night.

Rhae never gained any weight in the 3 months I had it, and this past week Rhae stopped eating and pooping altogether, so I knew it was coming.

This is rough but I am glad Rhae isn’t suffering anymore.

Thank you for your help on this forum, it has been very appreciated.

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia

Rhae never gained any weight in the 3 months I had it, and this past week Rhae stopped eating and pooping altogether, so I knew it was coming.

You gave him the best chance at survival, and I'm sorry he didn't make it. [emoji17]

Bee62

Germany

I am so sorry for your loss.
You had done all you can for him but like Tom said in his first post on your thread : The breeder who started Rhae too dry made the damage that was irreversible. It was not your fault.
Poor little baby Rhae.
RIP.