3 Lost Souls

Stephen M Brown

5 Year Member
I purchased a trio of Brygooi a few months ago and as of yesterday they have all died, they didn't go all at once, the 1st 2, they were a sub adult pair, went within the first 2 months, and the last, a yearling, 2 months later, they all hemorrhaged to death.
I have been in this hobby for decades, raised many torts from eggs to adults and did nothing different with these 3.
I would appreciate any thoughts.

Steve

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aw, darn it, Steve:

I'm so sorry this happened. I don't have any experience with Brygooi, so I can't offer you any words of wisdom. I just wanted to commiserate with you.

Rtill

10 Year Member!
Could you be more specific when you say "hemorrhaged to death". Was it a slow process or did it happen suddenly. What were the conditions that they were housed in. Hot/cold, wet/dry. I have pyxis also and found that once the small ones begin to struggle, it's only a matter of time.
They were no small investment so I can understand how you feel. Bummer.

Stephen M Brown

5 Year Member
Thanks, temp was a steady 82, they had a moist end and dry end, cypress mulch for substrate and their food was offered on a large paper plate, once they showed signs it took less then 24 hrs, they passed a large amount of blood right at the end.

Steve

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So sorry for your loss.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Necropsy would be your best bet if the corpse is still fresh and preserved in the fridge. Some nasty coccidia has been going through collections and Pyxis have shown no positive treatment for it unlike the other species.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
Necropsy would be your best bet if the corpse is still fresh and preserved in the fridge. Some nasty coccidia has been going through collections and Pyxis have shown no positive treatment for it unlike the other species.

Completely agree with Kelly. When you got your animals did you keep them separated and quarantined from any other animals you have? Was there any chance of cross-contamination? Did you notice any symptoms such as watery eyes? It definitely sound like it could have been internuclear coccidiosis. I would absolutely recommend necropsy and tissue testing for disease.

Also Kelly, toltrazuril will kill the coccidia in pretty much any species I believe.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Completely agree with Kelly. When you got your animals did you keep them separated and quarantined from any other animals you have? Was there any chance of cross-contamination? Did you notice any symptoms such as watery eyes? It definitely sound like it could have been internuclear coccidiosis. I would absolutely recommend necropsy and tissue testing for disease.

Also Kelly, toltrazuril will kill the coccidia in pretty much any species I believe.
Indeed it will, so will ponozuril. However it depends on the case though. If they had let's say 1300 copies that shouldn't be much of any issue that can't be treated. But if they were known to have 400,000 copies or even less then they're highly infected. But it also depends on where the coccidia has spread to. If it's in small copy amount only within the gut this may be treatable, but if found in complete adrenals, liver, lungs, tongue, colon etc.. Then no treatment could prove successful with Pyxis the TINC(intranuclear coccidiosis) is very severe because of the sensitive nature of the genus. Sucks to lose any tortoise, especially Pyxis.

In regards to TINC. I have no specimens that test positive for it. But so,my keepers I know have no living specimens that were tested positive with it. The thing with TINC is they(Chelonia) can carry, shed, or be diagnosed with it. But some species can carry it better than others. It's very dangerous and should be cared for in all regards. I have a relinquished cherry head that has it and is doing phenomenal after testing very very high with copies of it. But stress can lead to this opportunistic decline of any species. Which is very easy for Pyxis. All we have noticed with our dealings with it has been extreme lethargy, lack of appetite, little to no movement, and almost dead specimens really.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Thanks, temp was a steady 82, they had a moist end and dry end, cypress mulch for substrate and their food was offered on a large paper plate, once they showed signs it took less then 24 hrs, they passed a large amount of blood right at the end.

Steve
paper plates are made of glue and paper.... just a thought. I feed our cats on paper plates and noticed an awful smell coming from the plates, bleeding can come from blood cloding, or even poison plants...

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
If it is the 3 I am thinking of, they had been bounced around several times within months of you getting them. Where did you get them? Losing a tort is never easy, but losing a Pyxis is extremely painful.

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
so sorry about the loss, did you get them from a person in the pacific north west? a few months ago?