3 little platynota

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Allen:

I love to play this game so I will play with you. It is too early to tell so I am guessing to see how it comes out.

Right now I would guess:
#1 I'd give 55:45 its a female
#2 65:35 female
#3 65:35 male

Please keep updating! I want to see how they come out. I think we will be able to tell by about 600g for a faster growing platynota.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
Allen:

I love to play this game so I will play with you. It is too early to tell so I am guessing to see how it comes out.

Right now I would guess:
#1 I'd give 55:45 its a female
#2 65:35 female
#3 65:35 male

Please keep updating! I want to see how they come out. I think we will be able to tell by about 600g for a faster growing platynota.

Thanks for playing!

I suppose I should lock in my guesses:

# 1 M Based mainly on slower growth.
# 2 F Based mainly on faster growth.
# 3 M. Slower growth and anal scutes look a bit male to me.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for playing!

I suppose I should lock in my guesses:

# 1 M Based mainly on slower growth.
# 2 F Based mainly on faster growth.
# 3 M. Slower growth and anal scutes look a bit male to me.

My experience has been that males and females grow pretty much at the same rates (IF I really pick apart the charts, after the fact, the males do grow a little bit slower but its not that noticeable) until about 900g - 1000g. Then the female take off and grow much faster.

I agree the anal scutes look more male on #3, but from above, #3 has the most female shape!!

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
My experience has been that males and females grow pretty much at the same rates (IF I really pick apart the charts, after the fact, the males do grow a little bit slower but its not that noticeable) until about 900g - 1000g. Then the female take off and grow much faster.

I agree the anal scutes look more male on #3, but from above, #3 has the most female shape!!

Tricky guessing. Thanks for your insights.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I have had males start flashing me as early as 300g and only about a year old. However, I have had some that look female up until 600-700g before they flash me. So I would wait until they are around 800g or so before calling it a female.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
Very nice growth by the way. They look great.
I have had males start flashing me as early as 300g and only about a year old. However, I have had some that look female up until 600-700g before they flash me. So I would wait until they are around 800g or so before calling it a female.

Definitely to early to know. But, it is fun to guess.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I’m amazed how smooth their shells are coming out. My humidity is 80% at all times and soaks every day. My little Burmese Star still getting some raised scutes. Nothing bad, but I wonder if genetics plays a role in this species or they require 90%+ humidity. How are your humidity levels?