2nd Sulcata need some help guys

Damien84

Hey guys I posted a question awhile back about my baby sully he has sense died =(. Today however I am posting to let everyone know that I have a new little guy as of two days ago. I really need help with this one. I beat my self up over the loss of the last tort both mentally an financially. Countless hours of reading an countless dollars spent on vet visits. All to soon to end in his death. Anyhow, my baby is about 11 months old. At what age do they stop being called a hatchling? I am using Eco earth loose coconut fiber substrate. Is this ok to use? I am keeping his day time heat around 93-95 on the warm side an 83-85 cool side an his night time heat at 80-83 full enclosure. Is this a good temp range? I will include pics of what im using. Lastly for now sense i brought him home he has been spending alot of time in his shell hiding is this normal? When he is out his limbs seem to pulsate not sure how to explain this almost like they reach far out an then go back like normal like hes stretching repeatedly. Is this normal? I have not hurd any odd noises from his nose or mouth an his eyes seem bright an clear. His shell is hard an looks great. Ohhh also im keeping his entire substrate wet between 75% to 80% humidity im always misting the substrate two to three times a day is that to much?.1431477600569-487127153.jpg 14314776387451403987329.jpg 1431477682019103429317.jpg

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
Looks like your doing everything right except for the top being open. Are you able to hold hold 80% humidy throughout the night? Looks like he has slight pyramiding already. I'm sure Tom will chime in soon.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
The moving of the limbs I believe is breathing. Since it's a new baby, I will be shy and not social. It's whole world got changed after being used to one place for 11 months. It will take some time for your little one to get in the swing of things, eating, pooping, etc. Soak daily and spray the shell to keep hydrated and to begin creating a smooth shell. Don't keep the substrate wet, just damp. If it's wet, it can have the chance of getting too cool. I would pour water and mix the substrate as needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So far all seems fine except the size of the enclosure and the top being a screen top. The screen will block a lot of the uvb and will not hold humidity in. The enclosure is too small to get good temp ranges and exercise. He also needs to have a hide. He should be in at least a 4x6 enclosure for now and will out grow that soon. He should also,have some outside time during the nice weather. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper care and housing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello again Damien. I see a few problems. Don't want to bum you out, but you can't fix it if you don't know what to fix.
1. He needs a bigger enclosure.
2. He needs a humid hide.
3. He needs a water bowl.
4. The food bowl needs to be shallow. That one has side that are too tall and steep. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best for food and water.
5. What type of UV bulb? If its on those hoods its one of the cfl, coil type. Those can burn their eyes and this might explain why he's trying to hide and not moving. His eyes are burning. Take it out of there if that's what you've got. Right away.
6. Olaf is a nice touch.
#7. is a tough one. You lost the last hatchling because of what was done to him, or not done to him, BEFORE you got him. I don't know where you got this one, but it appears to have the same issues with a dry inappropriate start. In decent conditions your baby should be at least 400-500 grams at 11 months. Most of mine are reaching close to 800-1000 grams by that age. How much does your new baby weigh? He looks awfully small for his age and that is typical of an overly dry start in life.
8. Your temperatures and humidity sound spot on.

Just for reference, here are all the pertinent threads in one place:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Everything said above is spot on but if you need a visual, here is one. You can also plant some tortoise grass in his enclosure for him to eat/romp in. Our first set up was a tank like yours, I loved it even thought it is very temporary. As mentioned you are losing that good moisture by not having a cover on the top! In the photo you can see the humid hide (I would pour water on this every evening as well as mist inside it) his basking rock, his grasses, plants to eat and terra cotta plant saucer of water. At night I would take a full glass of water and pour it on everything as well as misting it all.
weelass.jpg