2nd installment of Gma's indoor winter gardening thread (Sulcata)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
New present for me!
My little shelving unit by the deck door was overflowing with plants, so I found this on sale for $31 at Lowes! Bonus that it is on wheels so I can move it around more easily than the little shelves. YAY me!
View attachment 167507

Notice the sad, two leaf twig on the top shelf? Yeah, that is the mulberry that Odin destroyed, but it is slowly recovering.View attachment 167508 View attachment 167509
Hurray! More of Odin's adventures!! :D

Now that spring is slowly returning, I was thinking of improving the shade and sight barriers in my outdoor enclosure. I see you found a dwarf mulberry. I am looking for one too, the dwarf part is very important -- so that it doesn't out-compete my other plants! Where did you find yours and about how big is it supposed to get? Is yours still growing well?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Hurray! More of Odin's adventures!! :D

Now that spring is slowly returning, I was thinking of improving the shade and sight barriers in my outdoor enclosure. I see you found a dwarf mulberry. I am looking for one too, the dwarf part is very important -- so that it doesn't out-compete my other plants! Where did you find yours and about how big is it supposed to get? Is yours still growing well?
I got this one from the same (awesome) grower I have gotten my banana plants from, http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bananaplants.html but it doesn't look like he has any mulberry at this time. :(
And yes, it is rebounding pretty well despite Odin's attempt to destroy it,
001.JPG

everything does better when it is safe from the Mighty's beak!

002.JPG 003.JPG

I have also ordered from this vendor : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5015NA/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The remaining one (that Odin didn't eat) was planted outside last summer, I wanted to see if it would survive here, and with our mild winter, there may be hope!
I have read that they can be kept to about 2 feet with regular pruning, which in our situations certainly won't be a problem :D

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
how are the Popsicle stick fences holding up to The Mighty Odin's wrath?
Although he regularly knocks them askew, they are still holding!
028.JPG

Which, of course, does not please Odin

015.JPG 012.JPG 009.JPG

But snacks can improve his mood, temporarily. Especially a bit of spring mix with a tiny bit of grated opuntia fruit on it.

He likes to pretend it's the blood of his enemies.006.JPG

And, despite the fact that he has not taken down a whole banana plant recently, he has still managed to eat quite well, which is why I can't even attempt to pick him up with one hand anymore.
022.JPG

And the greenhouse looks pretty much the same. Every time something grows, he eats it, so even with his daily salads I am seeding once or twice a week., but spring is here, so in no time he will be destroying the yard AND the greenhouse! :eek:024.JPG

I am going to have to buy more seeds in bulk.:rolleyes:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I got this one from the same (awesome) grower I have gotten my banana plants from, http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bananaplants.html but it doesn't look like he has any mulberry at this time. :(
And yes, it is rebounding pretty well despite Odin's attempt to destroy it,
View attachment 169202

everything does better when it is safe from the Mighty's beak!

View attachment 169203 View attachment 169204

I have also ordered from this vendor : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5015NA/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The remaining one (that Odin didn't eat) was planted outside last summer, I wanted to see if it would survive here, and with our mild winter, there may be hope!
I have read that they can be kept to about 2 feet with regular pruning, which in our situations certainly won't be a problem :D
Thanks so much for the tips! I will check out the banana plant guy and email him. ;) Your Odin garden looks great!!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I pulled the remaining banana plant from Odin's enclosure after the "fire" and moved it outside for the summer along with the two I kept away from his mighty beak. Now I have banana babies! I guess Odin will get another one (or three) in his enclosure after all this fall!
001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I pulled the remaining banana plant from Odin's enclosure after the "fire" and moved it outside for the summer along with the two I kept away from his mighty beak. Now I have banana babies! I guess Odin will get another one (or three) in his enclosure after all this fall!
View attachment 183166 View attachment 183167 View attachment 183168
Looking good! Can't wait to see more photos! Little Odin must be gettin' big! I will have to check out your other posts (I've been busy with graduation and wedding stuff)! ;) Stevie says hello to his friend to the NW, well, he does when he's not cranky, hehe!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Looking good! Can't wait to see more photos! Little Odin must be gettin' big! I will have to check out your other posts (I've been busy with graduation and wedding stuff)! ;) Stevie says hello to his friend to the NW, well, he does when he's not cranky, hehe!
He may not be big, but he sure isn't tiny anymore! 5 pounds and about 8-9 inches long.
His attitude has not improved though, I think he heard me saying he would only get one or two banana plants, and he wants to know why he can't have them all...and I think he means business!
018.JPG 019.JPG 030.JPG