28 Sick Tortoises please help, Bumps under Neck

Montana Pearce

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside California
Hello,

I recently purchased 28 sulcata tortoises on 6/5/21

8/1/21 I noticed 27 out of the 28 tortoises have have bumps under their neck. They have different bumps, and I am not sure what to do. I plan on taking 2 of the sickest tortoises to the vet. 1 is very lethargic and not looking well, but they rest are still walking around and eating.

What do I to help them recover?

How did they get sick?

Do I decrease the humidity?

Do I increase the temperature?

Does my setup need to change?

What can I do differently to help my tortoises?

Background:

The tortoises are in Cypress mulch with cool temperatures 86 degree and hot temperature 90 degrees heat rock and humidity 60%.

I soak them 2 times a day for 30 minutes in 2 seperater containers (14 in 1 container 14 in another). I put them outside in the grass for about 4-6 hours each day. When I put them outside, I soak them first, and then I turn on the water for the grass so the environment is more humid for them and they stay hydrated. Usually there are puddles of water on the grass. They have shade from the wood and the wall.

I fertilized the grass about 3 weeks ago with miracle grow and mixed in Crimson Clover seeds into the ground. This past week is when I put them out side into the newly fertilized grass.

I have 3 other sulcata tortoises and they live outside full time and none of them have the bumps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20210802_185451.jpg
    IMG_20210802_185451.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20210802_185448.jpg
    IMG_20210802_185448.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20210802_185447.jpg
    IMG_20210802_185447.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20210802_185446.jpg
    IMG_20210802_185446.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20210802_185445.jpg
    IMG_20210802_185445.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20210802_185439.jpg
    IMG_20210802_185439.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20210802_185438.jpg
    IMG_20210802_185438.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20210803_014612488.jpg
    PXL_20210803_014612488.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 164
  • PXL_20210803_014602940.jpg
    PXL_20210803_014602940.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 164
  • PXL_20210803_014556950.jpg
    PXL_20210803_014556950.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20210731_183704.jpg
    IMG_20210731_183704.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 194

ZenHerper

New Jersey

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@mastershake @Pastel Tortie

This looks very much like Austwickia infection...

I thought they had to be yellow bumps?
They don't look yellow to me.
That was my guess until I seen the bumps and no yellow?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I thought they had to be yellow bumps?
They don't look yellow to me.
That was my guess until I seen the bumps and no yellow?
Most of them look yellow on my monitor...but they can have variable appearance, depending on how the individual is reacting.

A biopsy is needed to make a 100% certain diagnosis.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@mastershake @Pastel Tortie

This looks very much like Austwickia infection...

100% in my opinion

Montana Pearce

5 Year Member
Riverside California
Where did you purchase them? do you have pictures prior to you buying them? I sure this was a major investment on your end and the distributor needs to be held accountable.
I do have pictures prior to buying them and I did not see any spots. What is the incubation time on it? I bought them 2 months ago. How do you recommend I hold the distributor accountable?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I do have pictures prior to buying them and I did not see any spots. What is the incubation time on it? I bought them 2 months ago. How do you recommend I hold the distributor accountable?
If your other 3 torts didn't have it, I would say it came in with the 28. The distributor needs to be aware that he is selling infected babies and in fact sold you infected babies. At a minimum, I would reach out to them to make them aware and see what financial compensation they are willing to provide. I doubt that conversation is going to go well but it's one I think you need to have.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I think you"ll see this when you get time to read thru the threads that if this is the yellow spot disease, it is highly contagious. It's really important to keep your other 3 away from this group. Use entirely different gloves, containers, feeding & water bowls than you use with the 28. You might want to separate out #28 if he remains healthy, but don't put him with your other 3. The only think we think sanitizes is ammonia & if you can sanitize in your dishwasher.

If you have any other reptiles or animals, keep them away from the infected. And again, use different containers, utensils, etc. with them as well.

It's very important your seller know of the potential problem so he/she stops selling infected animals.

This is awful & I'm sorry you had to come to the forum this way. Mastershake is a good source on this if you want to pm him.

Montana Pearce

5 Year Member
Riverside California
My girlfriend Sierra took the sickest looking tortoise to the vet. The doctor is doing a culture on it per request.

Sierra says the experience was horrible. He was very rough with the tortoise, examined the tortoise without gloves, and then scraped off a piece of he scale and then was scraping at the wounds on the mouth.

The doctor then prescribed an ointment for the tortoise. I got home from work and I look up this ointment and it is only supposed to be used for dogs and cats. Please, please someone tell me if this ointment is okay to use on the tortoises.

The doctor prescribed "Animax Ointment"

Is this ointment going to be beneficial?

Is this ointment safe for tortoises?

Montana Pearce

5 Year Member
Riverside California
I think you"ll see this when you get time to read thru the threads that if this is the yellow spot disease, it is highly contagious. It's really important to keep your other 3 away from this group. Use entirely different gloves, containers, feeding & water bowls than you use with the 28. You might want to separate out #28 if he remains healthy, but don't put him with your other 3. The only think we think sanitizes is ammonia & if you can sanitize in your dishwasher.

If you have any other reptiles or animals, keep them away from the infected. And again, use different containers, utensils, etc. with them as well.

It's very important your seller know of the potential problem so he/she stops selling infected animals.

This is awful & I'm sorry you had to come to the forum this way. Mastershake is a good source on this if you want to pm him.
Thank you so much I appreciate it, I am checking in the forums almost every hour, thank you for taking the time out of your day

Montana Pearce

5 Year Member
Riverside California

I informed him, he is very defensive and stating that it is not on him and that he sold me healthy hatchlings.
I dont know what to do, I want to do whats best for the tortoises and if I did something wrong I want to fix it.
My other tortoises are separated and are not in contact with these new tortoises.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I informed him, he is very defensive and stating that it is not on him and that he sold me healthy hatchlings.
I dont know what to do, I want to do whats best for the tortoises and if I did something wrong I want to fix it.
My other tortoises are separated and are not in contact with these new tortoises.
Did you get all 28 tortoises from one source? Have they been in contact with any other tortoises? Do you have any other tortoises?