28 Sick Tortoises please help, Bumps under Neck

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Well then I wish them both a happy healthy pain free life . May they grow up enough to OUT grow that horrible disease. And fight like he*l to make it. ??❤️??❤️
the first one passed soon after they got them and the other one i have not seen in a while. there is no outgrowing this.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
the first one passed soon after they got them and the other one i have not seen in a while. there is no outgrowing this.

Can you talk more about how this disease is propagated at the breeder's place? Do you suspect all of the equipment used for hatchlings is just contaminated, or are there adult tortoises that are infected but do not show signs due to stronger immune systems?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sad and I can only imagine very painful.
Would you recommend to anyone that has a tortoise with confirmed signs to euthanize and not try treating?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
Can you talk more about how this disease is propagated at the breeder's place? Do you suspect all of the equipment used for hatchlings is just contaminated, or are there adult tortoises that are infected but do not show signs due to stronger immune systems?
once it is localized in the area it has been found in the dirt, on things like feeding bowls or trays, dividing walls etc. it can also come from the female when she lays the eggs they can defecate some on the egg which can pass it along. we are not sure of the genetic passing from parents being a bacteria it would require more testing of the adult animals to see if they carry it and do all the babies end up with it or only some of them etc. it can most def come from equipment that was exposed to it or handling from hands etc. babies tend to be more susceptible immune wise to anything normally.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Could this be reported to the FDA with the expectation they would do anything about it?
I don't think this would be an FDA issue. Possibly USGS if it was shown to be a threat to native reptiles. Possibly USDA or USFWS though too. I would guess that the researchers working on this have already discussed it with their colleagues in those agencies.
It is a dangerous road to go down for the hobby/trade though. My mind jumps to Chytrid fungus in Salamanders which caused USFWS to list hundreds of species of Salamanders as injurious, prohibitiing imports as well as interstate trade to protect native species from the disease.
Since most, if not all of adult Sulcatas are kept outdoors it would be nearly impossible to keep them from contacting other native reptiles. In Arizona where the alleged breeder is, there are a few reports of Sulcatas being found in the wild already. My grandmother found a tiny hatchling Sulcata walking down the road there a few years ago.

In my opinion, tortoise breeders need to self police this issue FAST before they ruin it for everyone.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I would guess that the USDA would be the primary agency since this is a commercial enterprise involved in breeding and selling domesticated animals across state lines.

On the other hand, mail fraud (for shipping known to be sick animals)?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
i cant say 1000% but usually yes. there is yet to be anything very effective to treat it. it would require a major inj combo and even thats is just a possibility. in the ones we tested every one even when we were able to supress it for a bit it came back. on average with the anti biotics we ended up having to euthanize at around 12-14 months. none grew hardly at all. 14 months still 67 grams. toe nails started falling out again, skin showed signs etc etc etc we dont currently know of any really long time survivors this includes other species not just sulcata
I'm just wondering have you ever tried an herb like echinacea? I've used the drops on a few animals and capsules on some and it worked on some iffy diseases.