23 year old Male Egyptian Tortoise

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Today we took in an adorable, tiny male Egyptian tortoise. He was raised from a hatchling by a single owner for 23 years. The owner wanted his little tortoise to serve a bigger purpose and asked us if we would use him in our animal program, Crawling Critters Zoo.

He quarantined at another location for almost 3 months and we just brought him home today. He has signs of a dry upbringing and his beak isn't in the best shape. But hes alert, active and otherwise healthy.

He'll be soaked daily for a while and will get an improved diet.
It's been fun researching this species in preparation for this little guy. He's still in his temporary housing but tomorrow I finish setting up and monitoring temps in his new enclosure.

This little guy makes me realize how much Levi, my leopard tortoise has grown!

His name was Ramsey but we've decided to call him, King Tut! The kids like names that are fun and easy to remember ;) :tort:

2019-12-30-18-30-49.jpg

2019-12-30-18-31-46.jpg

2019-12-30-18-32-32.jpg

2019-12-30-18-34-23.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Good news! The temperatures are stable enough for him to move into the new enclosure today. I've seen him drink water 3x and he makes the cutest little noises. Almost like a morning dove. Good thing I had already read about that noise when researching the species, or it would have freaked me out!

2019-12-31-11-45-28.jpg

2019-12-31-11-43-48.jpg

He seems to have quite a few layers of stuck shed on his head, nose and around the mouth. In today's soak I gently rubbed those areas with my nail and although it's not nearly ready to come off...I can forsee us making progress in the next few weeks as long as I continue soaking.

I'm not 100% happy with the enclosure decor. But I'll tweak that eventually.

It's cute to see so much spunk in such a small package!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The Egyptian care sheet on Hermanni Haven's website has been super helpful.

I think this is @HermanniChris 's website. Yes?

Well if it is, thank you! I've gone over it a million times. It's very well written with thorough explanations all the while still encouraging flexibility as needed per the keepers specific climate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glad to see him in such a good home. It seems not too many people have experience with this species. I think they've sadly been victim to the same mis-information about what they need as so many other species. I'm getting some babies this spring to raise up the same way I've raised so many other species and we will see how they do.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Glad to see him in such a good home.

I'm getting some babies this spring to raise up the same way I've raised so many other species and we will see how they do.

Thank you, Tom.

& babies? Yay! They are so small. To see one in person must be amazing. King Tut's previous owner told me that when he first received the shipment with the neonate, it was so small, the guy didn't even see it in the box, thought it was empty and threw it away. Called the seller only to realize he must have overlooked the tiny tort, went back to the trash and there it was...ha!

They sure have spunky, feisty little attitudes. It's been really neat to watch him and interact with him.

2020-01-02-09-06-12.jpg

2020-01-01-13-31-52.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Oh my- you guys, this little guy is just sooo cute!

2020-01-07-16-07-15.jpg

I've managed to get some stuck shed off his head and nose. There's more to go but I'm pleased with the progress and I have to be careful not to rush it.

I clip together little greens and bury the clip in the substrate so he has bushes to graze from. I also add patches of grass/weeds from my field, again for natural grazing but I still place cut up greens in a dish for him, too.

Look, hes eating grass!

2020-01-07-16-07-51.jpg

A small tortoise is so much fun! I had forgotten how neat it was to have lil guys around.

My big leopard, Levi is cool, too and all...but he kills my ankles! I'm not under attack from this little guy. Hehe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow congrats Heather. It's great seeing you, a great tortoise mom rescuing and helping a little one in need. I bet he thought hes died and gone to heaven.
So what is this Crawling Critters Zoo you have? I think I have missed something. I know you have taken Levi places. Any others I don't know about?
This little one sure is cute.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm so envy of you~

This is the species that I hope one day I had a chance to work on.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
So what is this Crawling Critters Zoo you have? I think I have missed something. I know you have taken Levi places. Any others I don't know about?
This little one sure is cute.

Hey Barb! :tort:

I started my own business end of 2018 doing animal educational programs at schools & birthday parties.
Check out my website. It's full of photos. :)

Down in SoCal I did this stuff, too. Employed by Landry's RFC I trained parrots for a mini stage show and performed with them at Downtown Disney. That was fun!
I also worked for an exotic animal petting zoo and a CA wildlife rehabilitator doing programs.
Taking animals places and talking to the public about them was my career pre-kids.

Fast forward a few years, my kids are older and I'm here in southern Oregon but there wasn't anyone doing "reptile parties". So, I decided to!

I'm fully licensed, insured and even hold a USDA exhibitors permit. It's been really neat doing what I love and having the new adventure of owning the biz, too. :cool:

Someday, I hope to grow enough to have a facility that people can come to. Hence the "zoo" title. I was thinking ahead ;)

@Tom has an animal trainer buddy up here and I've been hoping to meet him. Hint...Tom...cough. Haha!

Levi still goes to many of the events but I have enough critters to give everyone rotations and breaks.

This little guy will do the same and he will help teach kids about the importance of conservation.

Quadro

SC
Omg love the pics so cute I bet his outdoor enclosure will be great when your done . Keep us posted .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

KronksMom

Illinois
I agree with Tom, this all looks so amazing! I've definitely fallen for King Tut. I only wish I lived anywhere close to you, so I could come see him and the rest of your zoo :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I got the planter in place, leveled and filled it with dirt today. But it started raining on me before I could take photos. It's going to kill me to have to wait til the end of the month to plant in there. LOL

King Tut is in my line up for a reptile birthday party on Saturday. If my hubby can sneak away & get some pics of him during the show, I'll post them here to share. :tort: