23 year old Male Egyptian Tortoise

Sue Ann

Location (City and/or State)
chapin , South Carolina
Today we took in an adorable, tiny male Egyptian tortoise. He was raised from a hatchling by a single owner for 23 years. The owner wanted his little tortoise to serve a bigger purpose and asked us if we would use him in our animal program, Crawling Critters Zoo.

He quarantined at another location for almost 3 months and we just brought him home today. He has signs of a dry upbringing and his beak isn't in the best shape. But hes alert, active and otherwise healthy.

He'll be soaked daily for a while and will get an improved diet.
It's been fun researching this species in preparation for this little guy. He's still in his temporary housing but tomorrow I finish setting up and monitoring temps in his new enclosure.

This little guy makes me realize how much Levi, my leopard tortoise has grown!

His name was Ramsey but we've decided to call him, King Tut! The kids like names that are fun and easy to remember ;) :tort:

View attachment 284381

View attachment 284382

View attachment 284383

View attachment 284384
What a cute little guy. We just had a discussion about Egyptians. A member has 2 females looking for a breeding male.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
King Tut will be featured in one of our upcoming Educational Critter Chats! It's a new mini series on our social media pages where we introduce critters from our program and talk a bit about them. With school out until who knows when, we figured these could contribute to the variety of online educational resources for kids.

Here are some screen grabs from the filming.

Screenshot_20200329-181809_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200329-181806_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200329-181548_Photos.jpg

I must say, editing is a lot more time consuming than I'd ever imagined it would be! With the recent govt. shut downs, my buisness has declined tremendously and so these new videos have been a way to help pass the down time.

The critters and I all miss going to work though......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you breed Egyptians?
No. I'm buying a bunch of babies from a friend who does breed them for a growth experiment, and I'll be selling them off after 6-12 months. Unless I fall in love with the species and want to keep them forever...

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Glad to see him in such a good home. It seems not too many people have experience with this species. I think they've sadly been victim to the same mis-information about what they need as so many other species. I'm getting some babies this spring to raise up the same way I've raised so many other species and we will see how they do.
Did you end up getting the babies? I can't wait to see them growing smoothly in your care, it'll be cool to watch the growth! Super glad you're going to take care of that amazing species.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I can't wait to see how beautiful @Tom 's raised babies will look. I just watched a Garden State Tortoise video showing an indoor Egyptian Tortoise enclosure build and their torts look so good. King Tut is cute and all...but they are way cuter without all the problems my guy has...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Nice screen shots, Heather. I'm going to have to visit your site.

Thanks. The videos were posted on our FB and IG pages although I might add some of the screen shots to the website photo gallery.

I must say, I don't like editing... I may even go as far as saying, I hate it! Haha
We have 3 videos up so far and the Egytian Tortoise video will be our 4th and final. As of now I have no desire to continue doing them. I have no problem being on screen but until someone else offers to do all post recording editing, I'm done.

Really hoping we can all just go back to work sooner then later.

KBeam

Central Illinois
No. I'm buying a bunch of babies from a friend who does breed them for a growth experiment, and I'll be selling them off after 6-12 months. Unless I fall in love with the species and want to keep them forever...
i may be interested when the time comes.

TheTortoiseOwner

not to mention
Team Gomberg
can i know how old is your tortoise beacuse my egyptian tortoise look to be a little younger than yours. I dont know his age as the person whom i bought him from had no idea about his age. Hope I can get some idea of it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Team Gomberg
can i know how old is your tortoise beacuse my egyptian tortoise look to be a little younger than yours. I dont know his age as the person whom i bought him from had no idea about his age. Hope I can get some idea of it.

Our Egyptian Tortoise is 23 years old. We are sure of this because we were given his hatch date records when he was surrendered to our animal program.

With that said, he may not be the best for size comparisons. His shell shape and size have been affected by MBD from his previous care.

We love him tons!!! But he isn't the best physical representative for his species...