2020 tortoise forum calendar?

GreenFire719

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
I always felt like there was a LOT of participation. I’ve entered every year since about 2012/2013. We only got in the calendar once but still entered every year. I always saw it as a highlight of tortoise forum.

I can see sales struggle because I only bought twice. Once when we got a month and once when we were on the back. I didn’t the other times we were on the back. Holidays are tough. I can’t even begin to imagine trying to run such a contest. So while I’m sad there seems to not be one this year I also completely understand.

I totally agree with it being a popular event on the forum and I always look forward to it. Unfortunately, I had never been able to get the calendar because it wasn't affordable for a college student like me lol. I've had a lot more jobs to work this year though, so if the calendar contest happens I would love to purchase one for 2020. Even if it doesn't, I can afford to pay for platinum membership and will probably be buying in the next month or so.

Even if it isn't a calendar contest, something like it definitely gets the community altogether. I would love to see an artwork contest personally

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Keeping the Forum online isn't cheap. The ads help pay for that.

There are always a few members who really want a contest or a calendar or a T-shirt, but when push comes to shove they have any old excuse for not participating. Putting together a contest for a calendar is a lot of work, getting pictures ready, contacting back those members who don't send in the correctly formatted pictures, making a layout and then paying someone to actually make the calendar doesn't generate enough revenue to make it worthwhile. The price charged for each calendar sold pays for having the calendars made. Most people don't want to spend that much money on a calendar, so sales are slow and often there are calendars left unsold. We usually have to beg people to participate in order to get the necessary 12 pictures for one each month. If Josh decided to not have a calendar contest this year, I totally understand. I handled the contest one year, and even with the help of the other moderators, it was a big job and one I'm not ready to ever do again.

I fully understand that the struggle is real and why do it if it don't pay and especially if its a pain in the ***, however, I recall all the past years participating in this that there had to be a vote to just get down to 12. Maybe happened before my time here I don't know.

But I know I look forward to these. My shell babies have never made it in but that's ok I enjoy seeing other people's. as for it being to hard or not profitable is a reflection on those running the show. There's more then one way to skin a cat, I fully believe if there is a will there is a way but apparently not here for this anymore.

Doesn't seem to be important anymore.. does it? Selling ad-space sure is!!!

Lol for real my iPad struggles hard to get on this site sometimes cause of the adds

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
This is probably stupid but I'm gonna say it anyway;
If keeping the site up is so expensive, couldn't the cost be offset by making available cool shirts and calendars :p

And people who enter to get their shell babies on anything ( shirt/ calendar) don't need to be rewarded with gift cards and other bs just having their loves face featured on something is prize enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is probably stupid but I'm gonna say it anyway;
If keeping the site up is so expensive, couldn't the cost be offset by making available cool shirts and calendars :p

And people who enter to get their shell babies on anything ( shirt/ calendar) don't need to be rewarded with gift cards and other bs just having their loves face featured on something is prize enough.
Quite often sales don't pay the cost to have the shirts or calendars made.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Quite often sales don't pay the cost to have the shirts or calendars made.
Figured, that's why I felt stupid for saying it but still how many members does this forum have? It's just sad.each member can't cough up some dough so it would cover the cost of shirt mugs calendars ect

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Maybe would could get a photo blanket made. BTW anyone have INkbird Temp or Humidity controllers for sale or trade?