2019 Hatchlings thread

Kipley

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
There's never any guarantee with incubation temperatures and I think it's very dishonest of a breeder to charge more for it.

I've purchased 15 hatchlings last year to raise for my breeding programs. So far, 4 of them have turned out to be the opposite gender I had expected, but that's the gamble with buying hatchlings. Gender cannot be confirmed until the babies grow large enough. My others are not yet big enough to confirm their genders, so I'm still waiting to see what I'll end up with in my program.
I agree about charging for gender, but full disclosure - it was only an additional $3.95 to select male or female. I thought that was a very fair price for something that is akin to a lotto ticket - but a gamble with the odds slightly in my favor. Had it been $10 or more I wouldn't have opted for the gender selection. I named her Olive, which can easily morph to Oliver if needed...lol.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
I've been reading Wolfgang Wegehaupt's book "Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hermann's Tortoises" and find it a great resource. I have no intention of breeding, but like to attempt to keep my pets in as close to natural environment as I can.
He believes that Hermann's should be kept with other's during their hatchling to juvenile phases, that is how the young are found in nature and separate during the latter part of their juvenile years. He feels it is important for their development to imprint on other conspecifics.
So...hatchling #2 arrived this morning. This one is slightly larger than Olive, 18.0 gms vs 8.6 gms. He or she is in quarantine until I can introduce the two. How long should I keep the quarantine up? And will the size difference be an issue? In his book he shows groups of hatchlings in both his facilities and the wild and they are a mix of sizes and ages. I am fully prepared to keep them in separate enclosures once there is any sign of aggression or stress. From what the book portrays this shouldn't be a problem for at least a year or so, if ever depending on their sexes and temperaments?

Kipley

Seattle, WA
I've been reading Wolfgang Wegehaupt's book "Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hermann's Tortoises" and find it a great resource. I have no intention of breeding, but like to attempt to keep my pets in as close to natural environment as I can.
He believes that Hermann's should be kept with other's during their hatchling to juvenile phases, that is how the young are found in nature and separate during the latter part of their juvenile years. He feels it is important for their development to imprint on other conspecifics.
So...hatchling #2 arrived this morning. This one is slightly larger than Olive, 18.0 gms vs 8.6 gms. He or she is in quarantine until I can introduce the two. How long should I keep the quarantine up? And will the size difference be an issue? In his book he shows groups of hatchlings in both his facilities and the wild and they are a mix of sizes and ages. I am fully prepared to keep them in separate enclosures once there is any sign of aggression or stress. From what the book portrays this shouldn't be a problem for at least a year or so, if ever depending on their sexes and temperaments?
Doh! I forgot to mention, Hermann's #3, from the original breeder #1 is from, will arrive Monday! We will have a total of three, which is said to be more compatible than just a pair. Again, any signs of stress we will separate these guys and strike the Hermann's community group goal as not workable.

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
Anxiously awaiting for the fedex driver, getting 3 baby westerns from Chris today! I am in in Portland, OR, but they will be housed indoors for the foreseeable future. Planning to use a rubbermaid container although I also purchased the Zoomed Tortoise house. For lights I am using the Zoo Med Combo dome light fixture. Trying to follow Chris' suggestions as much as I can. What do you guys feed your hatchlings?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I'm anxiously waiting for Chris to say he's shipping mine! I'm going with the rubbermaid bin as well. I just ordered 4 pounds of zoomed grassland tortoise food from @Kapidolo Farms and I plan on using the weeds in my backyard. when they run out I'll go to the store for greens. I'm also going use hibiscus powder on the pellets to coax the tort into eating them... I got that idea from @jsheffield

Kipley

Seattle, WA
I'm weak. I only maintained quarantine for 10 days...
They are all together now and so far no issues. Olivia is the small one and the first to arrive. So...named the trio Olivia, Newt, and Jon. ;-)

Where do you get the hibiscus powder from?

Tortoises.jpg

pjhdisfan

Lakeland, FL
Our little Eastern Hermann tortoise arrived on July 11th. He was 2-3 weeks old. His name is Keinu and he is a joy. Who would have thought a little tortoise could be such become such a big part of our family.
1st pic is his arrival day. And the next one is more recent.

Attachments

• IMG_7145.jpg
    IMG_7145.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7704.jpg
    IMG_7704.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
if you don't mind me asking, why 1 of each?

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
My 3 babies are here, so exciting! They even ate a bit after their soaking today. Quick question, what is the latest recommendation for accurate temperature and humidity measuring? I got 2 of the zoo med dual analog temp/humidity gauges as I was rushing through the store, but pretty sure those are not that accurate. I am housing them in a zoo med tortoise house and I know maintaining correct parameters might be tough.

cdumitru78

Portland, OR

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Looks sweet... I would grab it. just make sure you seal the inside seams if they aren't already Melamine is just particle board on the inside and will suck up water if it gets in there.

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
@method89 thank you for the tip, you are one step ahead of me. What is a recommended critter safe sealant? Also, should I use anything to cover the bottom, like a pond liner?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
the melamine itself is plastic(the inside is wood) so you should be good without the liner... i would think aquarium silicone would do the trick.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am new to hatchling Hermann care. I received a pair of sub adult Hermann's a few years ago. They grew up and gave me this.HH.jpg I had no idea she had laid an egg until seeing the baby on August the 16th when coming back from the grocery store. She has a great apatite and eating well her favorite is ROS blooms.