2019 Hatchlings thread

MIReptilian

Location (City and/or State)
Metamora, Michigan
Sunday morning Olivia didn't come out of her hide. I found her still buried and dead. She had been fine. Very active, eating well, etc. Newt soon started acting odd. He'd open his mouth like he was trying to expel something, would attempt to bite at this neck/shoulder area, and kept flipping himself on his back as though he was suffering from something neurological. No nasal discharge, no gasping or "guppy breathing" - I'm a respiratory therapist so I was able to auscultate his/her breath sounds with a tiny neonatal stethoscope - air movement was not impeded and it didn't sound like a respiratory issue. No visible wound where he was trying to bite, and I could not visualize a blockage in his throat. I called our only emergency vet (I've had lots of experience with them with the Greyhounds I rehome and adopt) and they basically told me they would not be much help - no reptile vet on staff. I was hoping Newt would make it overnight so I could get him into my reptile vet the next morning. I separated him into a smaller "hospital" enclosure while I started to tear down the tortoise house. I found lots of tiny centipede looking creatures in the soil, and had noticed a lot of fungus gnats the day before. There was no visible mold or fungus. Newt passed early Sunday afternoon. The third hatchling is doing ok. Vet couldn't find anything wrong with him and his fecal was clean. Neither of the two that passed had acted as though they were ill (until Newt that morning). All eating well and gaining weight.
I'm stumped, heart broken and feeling really guilty. My husbandry was just as suggested on the care sheets here with temps, humidity and lighting all where they should be.
I've raised baby Chameleons and thought these guys would be so much less challenging. Really upset that this is happened.

Edit: Not sure if the insects in the soil was an indicator of something wrong, but I've switched all the soils out. The organic "nothing added" soil I originally used was mostly compost - not sure if it is to blame or not.

Wow Kipley. So sorry to hear this. That's terrible. My mind is racing trying to figure out what happened.

MIReptilian

Metamora, Michigan
Well. I finally get my Trio sometime Friday. I'm looking forward to it. I think I'm ready. Well..I hope so anyway. My kids are excited and I built the best enclosure I could. If anyone is interested, I have a build thread going. Take a look:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greenhouse-tortoise-table-build.176828/

I have mazuri tortoise diet on hand, opuntia cactus pads, and a ton or weeds growing on my property. My enclosure is dialed in. Basking spots, UVB, grow lights, rocks, topsoil/coconut coir mix. We'll see how it goes.

I still need to figure out something for a few hides. Would prefer something that looks natural as opposed to the upside down Tupperware with a hole cut in it. Suggestions?

Are you guys soaking daily or every few days?

Jeff

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
We soak Sergio every day... He spends a lot of time basking so I'm overly concerned about him drying out

El_Gumpo

San Diego
Well. I finally get my Trio sometime Friday. I'm looking forward to it. I think I'm ready. Well..I hope so anyway. My kids are excited and I built the best enclosure I could. If anyone is interested, I have a build thread going. Take a look:

I have mazuri tortoise diet on hand, opuntia cactus pads, and a ton or weeds growing on my property. My enclosure is dialed in. Basking spots, UVB, grow lights, rocks, topsoil/coconut coir mix. We'll see how it goes.

I still need to figure out something for a few hides. Would prefer something that looks natural as opposed to the upside down Tupperware with a hole cut in it. Suggestions?

Jeff

I soak them every other day along with morning misting.

MIReptilian

Metamora, Michigan
They look great! Amazing how small they are. I was shocked at how small mine was when he arrived. Best of luck, and keep the pics coming

Thanks. I've been watching them closely over the last few hours. I noticed that one of them has a few crooked scutes on his shell. I'm hoping this doesnt cause issues later.

Also. The scute right above his tail appears to be split into two which is unlike the other ones. Hope this isnt a deformity or other issue.

Here's a few comparison pics.

Crooked scutes on back and split scute above tail.

20190927_124404.jpg

Normal
20190927_124419.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va

Jeff
I was using open clay flower pots as hides for my little one, today i added some duct tape to the opening to help her feel a little more secure while inside.Picture.jpg