2018 Tort First Aid Kit...

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Ik with bearded dragons vets say never use neosporin with pain relief the meds in the pain relief is more deadly then helpful. Only to use the normal neosporin. Guessing with other reptiles as sulcstas and torts this lrolly holds true too?
Usually Neosporin is referred to as triple antibiotic ointment (at least that's the way I've usually seen it in the guidance). Good point about the extra/different stuff like the pain relief. Some good resources were written in the 1990s, before some of the extras started being added into certain products. When in doubt, even if a product is supposed to be okay to use, it's probably safest to go with the least complicated (read: no extras or weird stuff) version of the product.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ik with bearded dragons vets say never use neosporin with pain relief the meds in the pain relief is more deadly then helpful. Only to use the normal neosporin. Guessing with other reptiles as sulcstas and torts this lrolly holds true too?
Just an antibiotic is what you want
Nothing else

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Take a stool sample to a vet. If you have a microscope and know what to look for, you can test it yourself. A vet would still need to prescribe the Panacur though.
I still have a very fancy and expensive Japanese microscope from the days long ago when I obsessed about parasites and such.
Decades later. My opinion is that if your tortoise is eating and active. Don't give too much worry about a worm or two.
Worms are just not that uncommon. But inexperienced or greedy vets will jump at selling you a treatment plan.
Most times, it's a perfectly fine situation that requires no intervention

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I still have a very fancy and expensive Japanese microscope from the days long ago when I obsessed about parasites and such.
Decades later. My opinion is that if your tortoise is eating and active. Don't give too much worry about a worm or two.
Worms are just not that uncommon. But inexperienced or greedy vets will jump at selling you a treatment plan.
Most times, it's a perfectly fine situation that requires no intervention
I have a cheap little plastic microscope that my parents bout for me for Christmas out of a Sears catalog when I was ten. I can't find replacement bulbs anymore for the light, but the mirror still works fine. Thing's lasted me 43 years so far. lol