2 yr old sulcata

Lizastarr

Location (City and/or State)
McAlester
How much does a tortoise need to eat? I have a tiny 2 yr old who is finally growing, and while soaking him today he tried eating his feces. I have been feeding him 2-3 times a day.. Suggestions?

nicoleann2214

NY
How much does a tortoise need to eat? I have a tiny 2 yr old who is finally growing, and while soaking him today he tried eating his feces. I have been feeding him 2-3 times a day.. Suggestions?
Welcome! Post pictures? And they should have unlimited supply of food, they are grazers. What are you feeding him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species? Where is Mc Alester?

Lizastarr

McAlester
What species? Where is Mc Alester?
Hi Tom, we have spoken before over a year ago when I needed help and thought of rehoming Neo. He is a sulcata, going on 2...11 oz. Very small but growing. He eats spring greens, home gown pea pods, grasses, bok choy and a sampling of about 8 different dried foods. From Kapidolo Farms daily. Also hibiscus flowes twice a week. He is soaked almost daily for 40 minutes and has 2 heat sources, basking light and a uvb tho not a tube. 3 ft x 6 ft wood home until I can put him in an outside home. 96 degree basking area, 82 reg temps and 78 in far corners. Spritz with water 3 x a day. Having a problem with humidity right now....yes he is pyramiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are grazers and should be able to eat as much of the right foods as they want every day. Here are the right foods:

Your tortoise needs a large enclosure now. That one isn't tall enough, and the CHE and basking bulbs are going to start damaging the shell even beyond the pyramiding. The carapace will start to "slow burn" if it isn't already.

Lizastarr

McAlester
They are grazers and should be able to eat as much of the right foods as they want every day. Here are the right foods:

Your tortoise needs a large enclosure now. That one isn't tall enough, and the CHE and basking bulbs are going to start damaging the shell even beyond the pyramiding. The carapace will start to "slow burn" if it isn't already.
Thanks Tom! I think Im going to go ahead and take all the tops off...build a bar to hold up the lights and che....put a greenhouse over the whole thing. Will that help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom! I think Im going to go ahead and take all the tops off...build a bar to hold up the lights and che....put a greenhouse over the whole thing. Will that help?
It should. Your thermometer and hygrometer will tell you for sure.