2 year old Red-Foot keeps climbing and flipping over

Kala Snurka

Our 2 yo red-foot has been climbing her enclosure walls and trying to flip over the past week weeks...almost on a daily basis. We take her out and let her walk about every evening and outside when the weather allows. I've attached a few pictures of her enclosure - any suggestion? Is she just bored?? It is completely stressful as sometimes I don't know how long she has been flipped before we come home from work. We converted an IKEA bunk bed into her tortoise table - with mister to keep everthing moist on the bottom level (walls are plexiglass - except for front panel so we have access)

Thanks!

Kala Snurka

Attachments

• Cassie 1.jpg
    Cassie 1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Cassie 2.jpg
    Cassie 2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Enclosure 1.jpg
    Enclosure 1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Enclosure 2.jpg
    Enclosure 2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 69

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I think opaque walls need to be higher. Your tort knows there is an outside world and is trying to get out.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is it mostly the corners that he climbs?
Capping the corners with a triangular piece of wood or thick cardboard might help. But that open type enclosure is pretty wrong for a high humidity needing Redfoot tortoise anyway.

Kala Snurka

the pics of the enclosures were before we put up the plexiglass to hold in the humidity - I'll try blocking off the corners and see if that helps

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
It looks dry and bright and unsuitable, what are your temperatures and what is the level of humidity?
Also, sink the water pool down more into the substrate and put a few stones in it. The food bowl should just be a plain clay tile with no edges.
There are a lot of experts here who will be glad to help and who know a lot more than I do! Little by little, you can make this better for your tortoise by making the required changes.

Kala Snurka

thanks for the suggestions - we did change where the lighting is so that she has a place that is "sunny" and one that is not so sunny. Her upper level, where we normally keep her food and water is lite by a red bulb and gets natural sunlight during the day. We'll try the bowl suggestions and are working on cutting the corners somehow. Also added some dirt to her substrate to give some more grip - she seems to like it. Contemplating just building a larger table that is maybe single level rather than two levels like what she has now. The upper level has no humidity and so she doesn't really hang out up there - just comes up to walk about and eat usually. She sleeps on the lower level where it is more humid.