2 Sulcatas together?

Ellie Mae

I have a 50 lb. male sulcata. I am fostering another male of the same size; he was found locally and we have been trying to locate his owner but with no luck so far. I would like to keep him but only if it doesn't create any chaos or extra work (such as separate quarters). My tort has a pen but free ranges most days on a fenced acre and a half. We had a brief introduction which consisted of a face to face meeting (literally), progressed to a little nibbling, and then looked like it was possibly going to escalate into some pushing, at which point we separated them. So, I have searched the forums and see that it seems to be a case by case basis as to whether they will cohabit or not. I'm interested in any personal experience, such as, how long to give them to see if they will work it out amicably, or any other advice. I have people who are interested in giving him a good home, so would rather do that sooner than later if that's going to be best.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Rehome him. Sulcatas are one that is most likely not going to get along as you already seen the proof of that. I have no sulcata experience, but have enough experience of seeing enough of it on this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They sometimes get along ok as youngsters until they start to reach sexual maturity. After that it quite the territorial thing. Males have their own territory and just don't get along together in the same yard. You may see pictures of huge herds of sulcatas all living together and the clue in that statement is "huge herds". But what they don't tell you is, yes, they have fights. You run the risk of not getting there in time to turn an upside down tortoise upright before he cooks in the sun. W

With that much property, fence some off and have two yards.

Ellie Mae

OK, thanks, am going to hope his owner is found but if not will try to find a good and knowledgeable new owner for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should never be kept in pairs.

Two males should never live together, except in the case of large herds, like Yvonne mentioned, and even that usually doesn't work.

What about quarantine? You've now exposed your beloved pet to whatever this other tortoise is carrying. My reptile vets recommend 6-12 months quarantine for any new tortoises due to all the crazy bad stuff floating around out there right now.