2 Sulcata Tortoises Looking for Good Home (separate homes?) in Warmer Climate

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Word of advice don't post your email, contact via private conversation.

Freud

I am interested in squirt...I live in Texas so warm is a bit of an understatement. We would need to ship and I would happily pay shipping costs.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
Hello,

I have 2 Sulcata tortoises that I'd like to find a new home(s), preferably in a warmer climate. I am located in Philadelphia PA and we'll need to figure out delivery arrangements (perhaps meet half way???). These tortoises are very healthy and have been exceptionally well cared for. They spend the warm weather months in a large enclosed yard and enter a semi-hibernation during the winter months when I bring them inside but still leave on a light and space heater and keep them in a large open wooden enclosure. They are great eaters and enjoy all types of leafy greens including collards and romaine lettuce as well as bell peppers, corn on the cob, and basically most vegetables you can think of. They get strawberries and watermelon as treats on occasion and constantly graze on the lawn in the yard. They eat a lot and I will only consider donating to a new owner who has an enclosed yard outside to keep them in. They are very friendly and will eat from your hand. They often follow me around the yard. I've owned the larger one for about 12 years (Rafael ~60 lbs, est. 13 years old) and the smaller one for about 6 years (Squirt ~15 lbs, est. 7 years old). They were separately given to me by different family members. I think Rafael is a male and has actually become aggressive towards Squirt. As a result I think separate homes may be appropriate. I think Squirt may also be a male but I'm not sure. Rafael has a perfect shell with no signs of pyramiding. Squirt's shell was in bad shape when orignally given to me but has since smoothed out nicely. Since Squirt is still growing, with a few more years of loving care I'm sure he could also have a perfect shell. I will try to upload pictures shortly. Please do not respond if you are not serious about owning these turtles. It really is a lifelong commitment, and while not difficult to care for, they do require attention and a constant supply of fresh veggies.

Mike
H
The tortoises are up for adoption so they don't cost anything other than the shipping charges. If you live in PA then we could probably meet in person so it wouldn't cost anything. I'm currently in contact with a few other people regarding the tortoises so depending on whether they follow through or not they still may be up for adoption. Please email me direct for more information or if you'd like to speak in person.

Thanks,
Mike
Hey Mike I might be interested in adopting I live in SC and have a few acres and a large male. No problem keeping seperate and they stay outside year round in a heated house. I have tons of pictures for you to view. Email. [email protected]. Send me a pic of the big male if you can. Jay

Michelle Davidson

Is the Female still available? I have a female currently and I am looking for a second. I have had my current tort for 17 years.

amberley layne

ohio
I live in Ohio and I would love to adopt these girls. We could figure out shipping arrangements

Mike Clemson

I apologize to everyone who has expressed interest for not logging on more often. I hadn't been getting email notifications that new people had posted and thought there was lack of interest. I just logged on now to see that there has been much interest the past few months but I have not been checking. Again I apologize. Both tortoises are still available but to be perfectly honest with winter approaching I am tentative about shipping them. I believe they re both males. I'm not sure where the confusion about there being a female started. For those of you who are still interested please email me directly at [email protected], but most likely I will not be willing to ship them until next April/May timeframe because of winter approaching and I want them to have time to acclimate to their new home.

Mike

Arita

I live in Argentina so I can offer warmer climate. Am very serious about turtles and own 2 which I have rescued, in a huge garden at home. I could adopt both of yours if you would consider shipping. Thank you very much for your attention.

bout broke farm

How close are you to the new holland sale will be coming up next month and would love tk add these to my family of 4 sulcatas I live in NC and have a huge winter house just let me know what you think thanks in advance.

Mike Clemson

For anyone viewing this post, someone has offered a very nice home for both tortoises so they are no longer available for adoption. Thanks for the interest.

mike rowlett

Hi Mike this is Mike in tex I might b able to split the cost of shipping if you would like to send them to east Texas. Thanks Mike tex