2 Sulcata Tortoises Looking for Good Home (separate homes?) in Warmer Climate

Mike Clemson

Hello,

I have 2 Sulcata tortoises that I'd like to find a new home(s), preferably in a warmer climate. I am located in Philadelphia PA and we'll need to figure out delivery arrangements (perhaps meet half way???). These tortoises are very healthy and have been exceptionally well cared for. They spend the warm weather months in a large enclosed yard and enter a semi-hibernation during the winter months when I bring them inside but still leave on a light and space heater and keep them in a large open wooden enclosure. They are great eaters and enjoy all types of leafy greens including collards and romaine lettuce as well as bell peppers, corn on the cob, and basically most vegetables you can think of. They get strawberries and watermelon as treats on occasion and constantly graze on the lawn in the yard. They eat a lot and I will only consider donating to a new owner who has an enclosed yard outside to keep them in. They are very friendly and will eat from your hand. They often follow me around the yard. I've owned the larger one for about 12 years (Rafael ~60 lbs, est. 13 years old) and the smaller one for about 6 years (Squirt ~15 lbs, est. 7 years old). They were separately given to me by different family members. I think Rafael is a male and has actually become aggressive towards Squirt. As a result I think separate homes may be appropriate. I think Squirt may also be a male but I'm not sure. Rafael has a perfect shell with no signs of pyramiding. Squirt's shell was in bad shape when orignally given to me but has since smoothed out nicely. Since Squirt is still growing, with a few more years of loving care I'm sure he could also have a perfect shell. I will try to upload pictures shortly. Please do not respond if you are not serious about owning these turtles. It really is a lifelong commitment, and while not difficult to care for, they do require attention and a constant supply of fresh veggies.

Mike

chazd1984

I'm in Tn and would def be interested in one or both of these guys, how far would you be willing to drive to meet? What about shipping?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Good luck and best wish to both of them.

Mike Clemson

Fiveash and Chazd1984, please email me your contact info (phone number) directly at [email protected] so we can talk more. I'd like to understand your experience owning tortoises and what their new living arrangements will look like. I'm sure you can understand that I don't want to give them away to just anybody. I've never shipped live animals before but I guess I'd be open to the possibility.

wbrown1st

Hello,

I have 2 Sulcata tortoises that I'd like to find a new home(s), preferably in a warmer climate. I am located in Philadelphia PA and we'll need to figure out delivery arrangements (perhaps meet half way???). These tortoises are very healthy and have been exceptionally well cared for. They spend the warm weather months in a large enclosed yard and enter a semi-hibernation during the winter months when I bring them inside but still leave on a light and space heater and keep them in a large open wooden enclosure. They are great eaters and enjoy all types of leafy greens including collards and romaine lettuce as well as bell peppers, corn on the cob, and basically most vegetables you can think of. They get strawberries and watermelon as treats on occasion and constantly graze on the lawn in the yard. They eat a lot and I will only consider donating to a new owner who has an enclosed yard outside to keep them in. They are very friendly and will eat from your hand. They often follow me around the yard. I've owned the larger one for about 12 years (Rafael ~60 lbs, est. 13 years old) and the smaller one for about 6 years (Squirt ~15 lbs, est. 7 years old). They were separately given to me by different family members. I think Rafael is a male and has actually become aggressive towards Squirt. As a result I think separate homes may be appropriate. I think Squirt may also be a male but I'm not sure. Rafael has a perfect shell with no signs of pyramiding. Squirt's shell was in bad shape when orignally given to me but has since smoothed out nicely. Since Squirt is still growing, with a few more years of loving care I'm sure he could also have a perfect shell. I will try to upload pictures shortly. Please do not respond if you are not serious about owning these turtles. It really is a lifelong commitment, and while not difficult to care for, they do require attention and a constant supply of fresh veggies.

Mike
I am not far from Philly
I would like to take the 15lb'er
I do have an enclosed yard
Please contact me

wbrown1st

Hello,

Mike
P.S. I currently have a 15 inch female sulcata .

Mike Clemson

wbrown1st, please email me directly at [email protected] and either give me your phone number or I'll give you mine.

For anyone else viewing this thread - the larger tortoise is still up for adoption and I looked into shipping costs if you live far away. If I use Delta Dash the cost is about $150. That basically means I crate him up and drop him off at the Philly airport and you pick him up at at your nearest major airport a few hours later. I have pictures but have not been able to figure out how to upload them on this site.

bestyiever

Hi, I live in state college not far from you and I do have a yard for him, right now I got one 4 years old one 2. I will keep them in side during winter and out summer, no problem

wbrown1st

Warning!
This person gets your personal information,
then don't contact you again.
Might be a scam for identity theft.

Mike Clemson

wbrown1st, please quit acting so crazy. I never put up an add a year ago and I really do have 2 sulcata's that need new homes. I am a very busy person and have not had time to call you back. Besides, from what you described in your personal email, I'm not sure that I want to give the smaller tortoise. They are not supposed to be left in water for 1 hr every day to be "potty trained". And you say you let them roam around your house - let me tell you something, when they get to be 60-70 lbs you won't be wanting them to roam around your house. These turtles are left outside 24/7 during the summer and I want someone who can offer the same.

P.S. thanks for ruining this thread for other people who might be interested.

Mike Clemson

Despite some interest, both turtles are still up for adoption. If you are worried about identity theft due to wbrown1st's paranoid response above then please start a personal conversation with me and I'll give you my contact info. I've already provided my personal email address above. I tried attaching a photo of Rafael and Squirt. Hopefully it works. Thanks for the interest, Mike

wbrown1st

Say what you want, My tortoise was a rescue and I am working close with my vet to make sure everything is right for her. As you can see, I have a hot spot for her and a tunnel where she sleeps. I have a large house and she roams where she wants. The room with her hot spot is 240 square feet. I don't care what you think, that's more room then a two car garage. At this size I only let her outside during the day, nothing wrong with that. As for you, lots of people are interested and send emails, you hadn't replied to anyone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's enough!

Anymore of this bad mouthing and it will be removed from the thread.

Mike has the prerogative to give his tortoise to whomever he wants to and he obviously doesn't agree with the way you care for yours, so take it and leave it. This is not the thread for habitat/tortoise-care arguments.

Mike Clemson

I have responded to every single person who has been interested so far. No one has followed through despite their initial interest. Other than wbrown1st, I have not rejected anyone. I'm sorry, but I don't think tortoises should be kept in the house. That's why I said I'd prefer someone in a warmer climate but I will make exceptions. Bestyiever, if you are still interested please contact me directly at [email protected].

Thanks for intervening Yvonne.

RoJo

I'm in Florida. Definitely interested but traveling to receive would be the hard part for me.

Mike Clemson

RoJo, after looking into it I believe shipping via Delta Dash would be easiest and least stressfull on the tortoise. Here is the link for Delta Dash which will ship live animals.

http://www.deltacargo.com/Portals/2.../liveAnimals/dash_cold_blooded_2014_04_01.pdf

According to the cost sheet, it would be $156 to ship the larger tortoise or $88 for the smaller tortoise which includes the weight of the shipping crate. Perhaps I could help with some of the shipping. I am currently in communication with several others about the tortoises and in fairness to them if everything works out I'll give them priority. Please contact me directly or start a personal conversation and I'll give you my phone number if you wish to talk more.

Thanks for the interest. I'm sure the tortoises would love Florida!

Mike Clemson

The tortoises are up for adoption so they don't cost anything other than the shipping charges. If you live in PA then we could probably meet in person so it wouldn't cost anything. I'm currently in contact with a few other people regarding the tortoises so depending on whether they follow through or not they still may be up for adoption. Please email me direct for more information or if you'd like to speak in person.

Thanks,
Mike