2 r.e.s. dumped on me

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
So Friday morning I left my house to go get a haircut upon arrival back home I found a 20 gallon long tank next to my snow plow. I hopped out of my truck to check it out, it had a cheap in tank turtle filter, a fish tank hood and light (non uvb or heat) some gravel, and a few fake plants and rocks. Also in the tank was a boys size 5 shoe box with 2 red ear sliders in it. 1 is a hatchling (maybe the size of an American half dollar coin) the other is around 4-5 inches in length and male. I immediately brought them indoors as it was quite cold and damp out. I cleaned all the eqipment with antibacterial dawn dish soap and went to the pet store for the rest of their needs (heater for the water, uvb light, c.h.e., food...etc) once I came back home I started to inspect them closer and realized they were showing signs of shell rot. So I am currently treating that at the moment. I can't believe someone could just dump this on someone....what the hell is wrong with people?! So I just ordered one of those above tank basking spots for turtles and an aqauclear filter rated for 40-70 gallon tanks(still unsure if I want to keep them or just get them healthy then rehome them and didn't want to put out too much money on a canister filter quite yet). They were cover in green algae from lack of lighting and basking area. So I lightly scrubbed them with a saltwater and toothbrush combo. I allowed them to dry bask for 20 minutes then did a good rinse. I allowed them to dry bask for another 20 minutes then I cleaned their shells with hydrogen peroxide and allowed them to dry bask for about 30 minutes then rinse with clean water. I then let them dry bask for 20 more minutes then applied triple antibiotic ointment, and they will be dry basked for about 30 minutes now. Should I leave them to dry bask over night? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Rue

Canada
I don't know enough about turtle care to be able to help...

But I am a little leary of using soap...and antibacterial soap especially. For disinfecting I like to use bleach and hot water (soak for 30 minutes)...rinse well and let dry. Chlorine dissipates rapidly and there is no residue.

Thanks for taking them in! Like you...I really don't understand how people can do this. But I suppose it's better than flushing them or killing them to get rid if them. I've now come across both...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
unfortunately red-eared sliders are considered a dump pet.

Rue

Canada
Like fish...drives me batty.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use a chlorhexidine scrub then antibacterial cream (silver sulfadiazine) on the bad spots. Some just use athletes foot cream. And yes, I would dry dock them a few days. Every day giving them 30 min or so in fresh water and offer food

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Going to be tough on the hatchling. Maybe can't dry dock as much. Be sure it's eating, and maybe give it more time in a shallow water tank with fake plants to hide in

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Plus I'd be a little wary of housing them together. Sounds like a bit too much of a size difference for me to be comfortable with them together.
At the vet least feed them separate so you can make sure the hatchling is eating well.
RES's are dump pets for sure. Ugh. People realize that their "quarter turtle" doesn't stay that little and needs all that work & out they go once they become too "inconvenient"
Drives me up the walls.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Update
The shell rot is doing alot better. I used hydrogen peroxide, iodine, and triple antibiotic ointment and daily doses of natural sun light while dry docking to treat it. They both have been feeding without any issues. I have decided to keep these 2 red ear sliders. I purchased them a 75 gallon tank yesterday. I am planning on getting a canister filter rated for atleast a 200 gallon tank. I would like some advice on a good quality filter that won't break the bank. Also, the bigger male has a red stripe on its head while the smaller one has an orange stripe...is this normal?

Reactions: Rue

Skyisthebest

Great job taking them in and taking such good care of them! Don't worry about the stripes. Mine has them the same as yours :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
glad you decided to keep them. :) I have a soft spot for red-eared sliders

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Update
The shell rot is doing alot better. I used hydrogen peroxide, iodine, and triple antibiotic ointment and daily doses of natural sun light while dry docking to treat it. They both have been feeding without any issues. I have decided to keep these 2 red ear sliders. I purchased them a 75 gallon tank yesterday. I am planning on getting a canister filter rated for atleast a 200 gallon tank. I would like some advice on a good quality filter that won't break the bank. Also, the bigger male has a red stripe on its head while the smaller one has an orange stripe...is this normal?
Glad to hear the shell rot seems to be under control. They will do great in a 200 gal tank. I know price is a concern, but I really like the Fluval filters. They are so worth the cost in ease of cleaning and the job they do. The Fx6 is $300 on Amazon, but rated for up to 400 gal. Good filtration is the key to keeping turtles healthy and enjoyable.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Glad to hear the shell rot seems to be under control. They will do great in a 200 gal tank. I know price is a concern, but I really like the Fluval filters. They are so worth the cost in ease of cleaning and the job they do. The Fx6 is $300 on Amazon, but rated for up to 400 gal. Good filtration is the key to keeping turtles healthy and enjoyable.
No not a 200 gallon tank...a canister filter rated for a 200 gallon tank. I just purchased a 75 gallon tank for them and im making a custom above tank basking area to maximize swimming area.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No not a 200 gallon tank...a canister filter rated for a 200 gallon tank. I just purchased a 75 gallon tank for them and im making a custom above tank basking area to maximize swimming area.
Oh, yes. Miss read that! Sounds like a 200 gal rated filter should work for you then. I love the "top of tank" basking area so the tank can be completely filled. I think it looks so much better that way. Post a picture when you're done.