2 month old Sulcata

DoobyScoob

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hey there, I have a Sulcata who is about 2 months old. I got him about a week ago. I weighed him when I first got him, he weighed in at 1.9 oz. I weighed him again today which was the same as a week ago 1.9 oz. Can anyone tell me how fast these guys grow in weight? Also, I need help getting him to eat more of the Orchard Grass Hay I bought him and less of the veggies. He loves veggies, but from what I've read, his diet needs to be more of the leaves and grasses and orchard hay. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help him start eating more of that stuff and less of the veggies? I've trying mixing them together, but he just picks around the hay and grass to eat the leafy greens, and he avoids the Mazuri all together. I usually crush that up and sprinkle it on his food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey there, I have a Sulcata who is about 2 months old. I got him about a week ago. I weighed him when I first got him, he weighed in at 1.9 oz. I weighed him again today which was the same as a week ago 1.9 oz. Can anyone tell me how fast these guys grow in weight? Also, I need help getting him to eat more of the Orchard Grass Hay I bought him and less of the veggies. He loves veggies, but from what I've read, his diet needs to be more of the leaves and grasses and orchard hay. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help him start eating more of that stuff and less of the veggies? I've trying mixing them together, but he just picks around the hay and grass to eat the leafy greens, and he avoids the Mazuri all together. I usually crush that up and sprinkle it on his food.
Most of us weigh in grams. That's what we are all familiar with.

There are a lot of factors that determine growth rate. How they are started directly after hatching being the main one. Few breeders in the entire world start them correctly. This means new keepers have to work hard, wait, and hope the babies overcome a poor start. Some do and some don't.

Hay is for adults. Babies can't eat it. Its much too coarse and the pieces too large. Babies need freshly sprouted tender soft grass clippings mixed in with their other foods. Skip the hay until he's about 12 inches.

I just typed this up on another thread. Same info applies here:
Get some Testudo seed mix from @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com. Also get some of their "herbal hay". It might seem expensive, but even a small amount will last a long time.

Also add in a variety of dried leaves from Will @Kapidolo Farms . You can mix these with grocery store greens all winter long.

Also add in soaked ZooMed grassland or forrest tortoise pellets, and original or LS Mazuri.

I would recommend all of these things to give your tortoise variety. All of these things will take time to introduce. Your tortoise probably won't like any of it the first few times it sees it. Start with tiny quantitates mixed in with old favorites. In time, your tortoise will love all of it.

From the store, favor endive and escarole as your main staples. Use dandelion greens, cilantro, arugula, collards and more for variety.

Mazuri needs to be soaked. They can't eat it dry when they are babies. I don't even feed it to adults dry.

Here is more info about what to feed them:

And here is the current and correct care info if you haven't seen this:

DoobyScoob

Utah
Most of us weigh in grams. That's what we are all familiar with.

There are a lot of factors that determine growth rate. How they are started directly after hatching being the main one. Few breeders in the entire world start them correctly. This means new keepers have to work hard, wait, and hope the babies overcome a poor start. Some do and some don't.

Hay is for adults. Babies can't eat it. Its much too coarse and the pieces too large. Babies need freshly sprouted tender soft grass clippings mixed in with their other foods. Skip the hay until he's about 12 inches.

I just typed this up on another thread. Same info applies here:
Get some Testudo seed mix from @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com. Also get some of their "herbal hay". It might seem expensive, but even a small amount will last a long time.

Also add in a variety of dried leaves from Will @Kapidolo Farms . You can mix these with grocery store greens all winter long.

Also add in soaked ZooMed grassland or forrest tortoise pellets, and original or LS Mazuri.

I would recommend all of these things to give your tortoise variety. All of these things will take time to introduce. Your tortoise probably won't like any of it the first few times it sees it. Start with tiny quantitates mixed in with old favorites. In time, your tortoise will love all of it.

From the store, favor endive and escarole as your main staples. Use dandelion greens, cilantro, arugula, collards and more for variety.

Mazuri needs to be soaked. They can't eat it dry when they are babies. I don't even feed it to adults dry.

Here is more info about what to feed them:

And here is the current and correct care info if you haven't seen this:
Thank you Tom