2 month old hatchling, and I still haven't seen him drink once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vacaville, CA
Hello TFO people!

I was hoping some experience breeders or owners could help me to understand about the drinking habits of hatchling Sulcatas a little better...

Pépe is just about 2 months old now, and I still haven't seen him take a single drink of water. He will sit in his water dish for 20 minutes at a time, and eats food that i spray with water sometimes, and LOVES sitting in his humid hide for hours at a time. His feces and urine looks very healthy, so I'm not really concerned with whether he's getting enough water, but I just have never seen him go to his water dish and just drink. Haven't seen him even put his face into the water intentionally.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they can absorb when they sit in the water.. they get a lot of what they need from thier food too. If he is eating well,, i wouldnt worry too much.. he probably has taken a drink.. you just havent seen it.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Mine is three months old and has never even sat in his water dish willingly. I have never seen him drink from it on his own. However, I have seen him drink during soaks. He hates soaking, by the way. I just keep giving him regular soaks and trust that, if he is active and eating and pooping, he's fine. He knows where the water is and if he needs it, he can get it. I think some torts just aren't water lovers.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Cool, that's reassuring, knowing that other people have similar experiences. He doesn't LOVE his soaks, but sometimes he will just chill for quite a while in the water, and sometimes he will do it on his own in his water dish.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.