2 large sulcata's need forever home

Mrslaudy

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have been taking care of 3 larger sulcata's. The women that owned them was moving into a new home without a proper habitat. I have had them a while now and she decided that she does not want them backimage.jpeg . I will be keeping one of the three, and would like to find homes for the other two. They were raised on mostly romaine lettuce and whatever Bermuda happened to pop up in their old yard. The larger one was attacked by a dog when it was young and I have named him "Harvey Dent." I live in southern Arizona. Please message me if you are interested. I will need pictures of a proper habitat.
Thank you!
Jessica

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jessica, and welcome to the Forum!

Those are some pretty nice-looking sulcata tortoises. I wish you well and hope you are able to place them in good homes.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Welxome! That's great of you to make the decision of keeping one and trying to find an owner here! Glad you found the forum. good luck

Deucalion

Sierra Vista, AZ
Hi and wecome.
I'm also in southern Arizona and I may be able to help you out. I sent you a message.

Thanks, Jesse.

Mrslaudy

Arizona
It is amazing to me how many people have contacted me trying to get a free tort. I have decided to charge an adoption fee, that will then be donated to a herp rescue here in Arizona. This should help them find someone committed. Not just looking for something free. People these days.... I wonder if they know what the expense is to care for one of the babies.:confused:

Rue

Canada
I think it's a good idea to charge an adoption fee, and a great idea to donate it to a rescue organization.:)

People continually amaze me as well.

A few years ago I was really taken with an ad I found on Kijiji.

I should have copied it, but it read something like this:

"My little daughter decided we needed a cat and I want to make her happy and get her one as soon as possible. I have no money, so I would like someone to give us a cat. The cat must be spayed or neutered and very healthy. We would like to have a very pretty cat. Because we have no money, please include a kitty litter pan, kitty litter and food for the cat. Serious applications only." :confused:

Deucalion

Sierra Vista, AZ
So, am I to understand, if a person aquires an animal for "free" they are not committed or able to provide proper husbandry? If I run across an opportunity to adopt an animal I am interested in I will explore the possibility. If I learn there is an "adoption fee" (price tag), I will determine if I feel it's reasonable and make my decision accordingly. Whether I pay nada, or thousands of dollars for an animal I am going to provide them the same care. As I assume all on this forum would. Isn't that why we're all here?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
So, am I to understand, if a person aquires an animal for "free" they are not committed or able to provide proper husbandry? If I run across an opportunity to adopt an animal I am interested in I will explore the possibility. If I learn there is an "adoption fee" (price tag), I will determine if I feel it's reasonable and make my decision accordingly. Whether I pay nada, or thousands of dollars for an animal I am going to provide them the same care. As I assume all on this forum would. Isn't that why we're all here?

not necessarily you... But there are people that are new members that just look at this website waiting for a Free Tort to pop up so they can sell it on Craigslist or at a pet shop...

Mrslaudy

Arizona
not necessarily you... But there are people that are new members that just look at this website waiting for a Free Tort to pop up so they can sell it on Craigslist or at a pet shop...
That is exactly right. People that ask me how to feed and care for the tort are not where I am wanting these guys to end up. There was only one person that knew anything about husbandry. Which was Deucalion, by the time she contacted me I had already decided to charge an adoption fee. I am not in a hurry to re home these guys...I do enjoy them❤️

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
So glad to hear you are adopting them out responsibly. One conversation with a neighbor we never met before and they said if you want him you can have him. Months later (after finding tortoise forum and getting lots of great advice) we were finally ready to bring him home. Thankfully we didn't bring him home that first day. That would have been a disaster.

2-20-2016 010.JPG I have wondered what a proper adoption process would be. Not that Sherman is going anywhere else...just wondering what other people do in that situation.

It is really great that you are looking to re home them with some thought put into it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Trolling is SO COMMON here.
Nothing personal, but it reaches comical proportions sometimes with new members tripping all over each other for a free tortoise. Most of them have never contributed anything before and some have only posted in response to other free tortoises.
Beware in general.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
I will take the tortoise. make sure you give me 5 years worth of mazuri, heating elements, housing and any other necessities. also I am based in California once again so it would be nice of you if you could compensate me for my gas since I will drive. thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I will take the tortoise. make sure you give me 5 years worth of mazuri, heating elements, housing and any other necessities. also I am based in California once again so it would be nice of you if you could compensate me for my gas since I will drive. thanks!
my sarcasm detector is broken

Mrslaudy

Arizona
Sure thing, I can put you up in a 5 star hotel as well! Haha

Mrslaudy

Arizona
Trolling is SO COMMON here.
Nothing personal, but it reaches comical proportions sometimes with new members tripping all over each other for a free tortoise. Most of them have never contributed anything before and some have only posted in response to other free tortoises.
Beware in general.
Yes, I have come across some of these people. What they don't understand is that nothing in life is ever free! There is always a cost.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Sure thing, I can put you up in a 5 star hotel as well! Haha

hah!!!!!!!

Good luck finding the home for the torts. its tough finding dedicated owners. with my experience and the 2 I have, my hands are full :D

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I would take, and gladly pay, for a female. But I'm in South Texas. Reason I need a female is that I already have a male and a female and wouldn't want any fights! They get on great! And I have a huge yard planted with kinds of goodies for them.
Good luck!!!

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
I have been taking care of 3 larger sulcata's. The women that owned them was moving into a new home without a proper habitat. I have had them a while now and she decided that she does not want them backView attachment 171889 . I will be keeping one of the three, and would like to find homes for the other two. They were raised on mostly romaine lettuce and whatever Bermuda happened to pop up in their old yard. The larger one was attacked by a dog when it was young and I have named him "Harvey Dent." I live in southern Arizona. Please message me if you are interested. I will need pictures of a proper habitat.
Thank you!
Jessica

Jessica that was awful nice of you to take care of this woman's torts. I know we can't always be 100% awesome but why do people get new homes where their babies can't come!? Anyways I hope this all worked out. Youre a very good friend. :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Hopefully you find a good home. Taking time to weed through the trolls is seeking more common now a days. You will find a good forever home for them. A lot of people would give them a great life