2 heart attacks in one week....Ruby Might be the death of me

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
so I let Ruby out for a bit the other day and she decided that we were going to play a game of hide and seek. After looking in the normal places I started thinking I lost her in her completely protected enclosure. It took me a few minutes to finally find her. She’s really good!

Today was her first full day back outside since last fall. I came home to find her on her back, covered in poop, and panting. I saw her on the yard camera around 2 so it could have been 3+ hours! I immediately flipped her and put her in her tub. She was alert but her legs were splayed out. After about 15 minutes she started to climb out like normal. I put her back in her box and she ate like nothing happened. I keep checking on her and all seems ok. Anything I should be looking for?

Attachments

• E38BC876-08AF-4EAA-A022-2D4519BF9A9A.jpeg
    E38BC876-08AF-4EAA-A022-2D4519BF9A9A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • CC7A3182-1FD4-40EA-ACF2-522B87F4C4B5.jpeg
    CC7A3182-1FD4-40EA-ACF2-522B87F4C4B5.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 34
  • 08A7DF96-00D0-42EC-96FB-3583AA06BAF5.jpeg
    08A7DF96-00D0-42EC-96FB-3583AA06BAF5.jpeg
    978.9 KB · Views: 39

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know those heart attacks. Had many when my first leopard was young. I knew he could not get out of his enclosure and nothing could get in. But when he decided to blend into the weeds, my heart would sink and I would frantically look for him. Sontikes in the same place twice, just too find him on the second look. Man can they blend in.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
A while after I put Curtis in with his new enclosure with his new 7 inches of substrate, he magically disappeared! I hadn’t taken him out of the enclosure, and it has 20 inch walls. After about an hour of searching, I saw that he had expanded his man-made burrow, and was invisible unless I shined a flashlight on him, lol.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I just checked on her again and she’s burrowed in for the night in her box. Seems like all is ok. Man my heart was racing when I saw her like that tonight

Bee62

Germany
so I let Ruby out for a bit the other day and she decided that we were going to play a game of hide and seek. After looking in the normal places I started thinking I lost her in her completely protected enclosure. It took me a few minutes to finally find her. She’s really good!

Today was her first full day back outside since last fall. I came home to find her on her back, covered in poop, and panting. I saw her on the yard camera around 2 so it could have been 3+ hours! I immediately flipped her and put her in her tub. She was alert but her legs were splayed out. After about 15 minutes she started to climb out like normal. I put her back in her box and she ate like nothing happened. I keep checking on her and all seems ok. Anything I should be looking for?

Oh, I am feeling with you ! :( Finding the tort on the back always causes some extra heartbeats !
I hope you are both fine. :)