2 days late to post, but Apis the Western Hermanns is 2 years old! (Wow time flies!)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
So cute happy birthday

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Wow, what a beauty!! Happy Birthday Apis! I’d love to see more pictures if you’re willing to share.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Wow, what a beauty!! Happy Birthday Apis! I’d love to see more pictures if you’re willing to share.
For sure! Let me dig around~

Here is a google photos album I made up of some of her highlights from the past year, starting with her birthday last year. Goal for this next year is gonna be more pictures - it's crazy seeing how much she grows when u sift through the images and videos. Obviously I see her everyday, but this makes me realize I should photo and video way more!

Disclaimer: she only gets all you can eat fruit on birthdays. Hence the videos. :)

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
For sure! Let me dig around~

Here is a google photos album I made up of some of her highlights from the past year, starting with her birthday last year. Goal for this next year is gonna be more pictures - it's crazy seeing how much she grows when u sift through the images and videos. Obviously I see her everyday, but this makes me realize I should photo and video way more!

Disclaimer: she only gets all you can eat fruit on birthdays. Hence the videos. :)
Thanks for sharing the album. She’s beautiful and had some good growth over the year!! I have an Eastern, so it’s interesting to see the subtle differences between the two.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Thanks for sharing the album. She’s beautiful and had some good growth over the year!! I have an Eastern, so it’s interesting to see the subtle differences between the two.
Thank you! I'll have to check yours out, how old?

I continue to be amazed how much she's growing - I feel she'll be a pretty large w.h.t. when it's all said and done.
She's constantly eating more and more. Her intake has more than tripled over the past year.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thank you! I'll have to check yours out, how old?

I continue to be amazed how much she's growing - I feel she'll be a pretty large w.h.t. when it's all said and done.
She's constantly eating more and more. Her intake has more than tripled over the past year.

The yawning video is adorable. It always amazes me how big they can open their mouths. I enjoy watching my camera feed and catching little candid moments like that.

My tortoise is 1 year and 4 months old. He was the runt from his clutch and seemed to be slow growing until he hit a growth spurt that started in March. In the middle of March he was 70 grams and a little better than 3 inches long. Now he’s 4 1/4 inches and 245 grams. Most of that growth happened by the end of July and seems to be slowing down a tiny bit again. I agree with the intake of food having tripled over the last year...easily!! I would have never guessed he could grow that fast. It’s mind blowing when you think about how much their shell has to grow in such a short period of time. Here’s a more recent picture of my little Dozer.6204C1C4-CD50-412A-B575-D29DFADEC229.png

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
The yawning video is adorable. It always amazes me how big they can open their mouths. I enjoy watching my camera feed and catching little candid moments like that.

My tortoise is 1 year and 4 months old. He was the runt from his clutch and seemed to be slow growing until he hit a growth spurt that started in March. In the middle of March he was 70 grams and a little better than 3 inches long. Now he’s 4 1/4 inches and 245 grams. Most of that growth happened by the end of July and seems to be slowing down a tiny bit again. I agree with the intake of food having tripled over the last year...easily!! I would have never guessed he could grow that fast. It’s mind blowing when you think about how much their shell has to grow in such a short period of time. Here’s a more recent picture of my little Dozer.View attachment 305512
What a cutieeee!
He's so bright too!

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas

My tortoise is 1 year and 4 months old. He was the runt from his clutch and seemed to be slow growing until he hit a growth spurt that started in March. In the middle of March he was 70 grams and a little better than 3 inches long. Now he’s 4 1/4 inches and 245 grams. Most of that growth happened by the end of July and seems to be slowing down a tiny bit again. I agree with the intake of food having tripled over the last year...easily!! I would have never guessed he could grow that fast. It’s mind blowing when you think about how much their shell has to grow in such a short period of time. Here’s a more recent picture of my little Dozer.View attachment 305512
Curious, does he burrow much? I haven't tried the bark yet but Apis loves burying herself in the soil/peat/sphagnum, I know paired with the bark it could make a good substrate and holds moisture really well!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Curious, does he burrow much? I haven't tried the bark yet but Apis loves burying herself in the soil/peat/sphagnum, I know paired with the bark it could make a good substrate and holds moisture really well!
He burrows to sleep everyday. I have always done a thick layer of eco earth or peat moss (usually around 4 inches thick), and then a 1 inch or so layer of the reptile bark. Even as a tiny baby at 20 grams he has burrowed through that combination of substrate. I guess in the US you can buy orchid bark or cypress mulch a lot less cheaper than reptibark or similar bark marketed to reptiles. In Canada almost all of our mulch is cedar which is toxic, so I have to use the expensive reptile version. It‘s the best of both worlds doing it this way. It keeps things clean and it looks and smells nice. When he burrows and digs around, the 2 get mixed together so I always keep a partial bag of the mulch handy to add extra handfuls on top so the eco earth or peat is always covered. It’s worked really well for him.