2-3 yr old sulcata activity and diet change

Daisy

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

Hoping that someone can give me a little guidance. Daisy is my 2-3 yr old sulcata, got her as a rescue when she was a little less than a year old. She has done great! She eats primarily grasses and tortoise-safe plants that we grow in a pesticide/chemical free 10' x 20' foot garden. She also gets prickly pear cactus (pads and fruit). Yesterday, she did not get up to eat like she always does. I gave her some time, but she still did not come out. I did a warm soak, she drank, and ultimately passed stool and ate fairly well throughout the day. This morning, she did not get up as usual, but I did not worry so much about it since she seemed to do ok yesterday. However, I got home tonight and it looks like she did not come out of her hide all day and did not eat or pass stool. I did a warm water soak, she urinated well and passed only a very little oxylate. I put her in front of her food and she only ate the pricky pear fruit and went back in her hide.

Other info:
-she lives in a 2' x 6' Zoomed enclosure, coconut coir substrate
-she goes out to her garden all day for 3-4 days per week
-temp 80-90 on hot end; 70-80 on cool end; keep one nighttime heat lamp on to keep temp ~ 65-70 at night
-growth rate has been great - slow and steady
-great shell and skin, beautiful bright eyes,
-never been sick; no eye or nasal drainage/bubbling

The weather did turn significantly cooler yesterday-today and I noticed that the temp in her house barely got to 80; added some extra heat.

I know that this is a huge post but this little tortoise means the world to me! I am hoping that those of you with more experience can give some advice on what may be going on.

Thank you so much for your time,

Leslie

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I would not let my sulcata get that cold at night. My cool temp is 80. What's your humidity? Cool and moist could make her sick...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'd bet the temps got too cold, possibly colder than you think and that would surely effect the activity and eating levels of your sully. Up the overnight temps see how that helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The shorter days and cooler temps can do this. These tortoise are a tropical species. It never gets cold where they are. Even when nights drop into the high 60's the next day will be near and sometimes above 100. Average temps in their burrows are probably near 80, so 65-70 is just too cool, despite what some of the old books and care sheets say. Those same people say to keep them dry, which we now know is all wrong.

Your temps were too cool to begin with, and now that it is cooling more your tortoise is losing its appetite and desire to be active. You need to fix this quick.

Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Daisy

5 Year Member
Thank you all so ver much for the quick feed back! I really appreciate the forum members for this! I was indeed looking back at care sheets on websites of several organizations, some of which recommend no heat at all at night! I upped the heat last night and will get back to you with an update! Tom, thank you as always for the links to additional info!

Leslie

Daisy

5 Year Member
Hey Tom,

It wouldn't let me open the first link....can u post it again or in a different way when you have a sec?

Thnks!

Daisy

5 Year Member
Hey everybody!

Great news!! Increased the temp and order has been restored!! Daisy is doing great!! I just feel awful that I made her not feel well!! There is so much information out there and as a novice I trusted a sight that appeared legit! We are completely committed to her lifelong care and want to take the very best care of her possible! I have read the info one second link and found a copy of the old care sheet.....would love to read the updated version if someone can post it (I get a forum error message when I try to open the link above).

So, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Leslie & Daisy

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hey everybody!

Great news!! Increased the temp and order has been restored!! Daisy is doing great!! I just feel awful that I made her not feel well!! There is so much information out there and as a novice I trusted a sight that appeared legit! We are completely committed to her lifelong care and want to take the very best care of her possible! I have read the info one second link and found a copy of the old care sheet.....would love to read the updated version if someone can post it (I get a forum error message when I try to open the link above).

So, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Leslie & Daisy
Great news. I love it when a plan comes together!