1st time tort owner with an Eastern Hermann’s Hatchling

Tortlelou

Location (City and/or State)
Cedar Rapids
Hello!
My name is Kris from Cedar Rapids, IA. Have experience with reptiles, but this is my first time around with a tortoise. Currently the little one has joined our beardie in a 100+ gallon planted terrarium. F10A909E-7238-4970-93CB-FBCA9472C0AE.jpeg625E21AA-3D17-4545-8B66-9D0D8B634345.jpeg75F770D8-289D-4B86-88E5-8560C513739E.jpeg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Bad idea!
1. They both require diff humidity levels
2. That poor tort is gonna get stressed out.. that lil beardie eating machine will start nipping at its legs, tail, head.
3. Diff parasites that may affect one more than the other
4. Just separate them ASAP

Dublin
You should separate them immediately, and tortoise cant have glass walls without some sort of visual blocker at least a few inches above the substrate. Tortoises can’t sense glass. They both need different humidity levels, the bearded dragon will no doubt irritate and stress out the poor tortoise, parasites etc. I hope you separate them sooner rather than later.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Welcome to the forum. And very cute beardie and tort u got there. Just trying to save u some heartbreak. I know its more convenient to keep them together but its a disaster waiting to happen. Hope u will take the advice given to u.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Tortlelou

Cedar Rapids
Wow, stepped away for dinner and bedtime.

Thank you for all the advice!

We are building a wooden vivarium to help maintain the heat to humidity ratio Herman’s need and a large outdoor enclosure (16x4” w/ optional divider @ 8’ mark). I was planning to house the hatchling in a 55g tub and noticed that all the metrics I was aiming for and the edibles I was collecting happen to be the same as what the baby beardie’s tank was already set up for. The tank is big enough that they’ve rarely interacted as the beardie has favorite spots and ignores the rest of the tank, meanwhile the tortoise is running around tasting all the things and is pretty disinterested in the beardies spots.

I promise I didn’t choose this thoughtlessly, but I didn’t think about gut biome and parasites and will get them separated ASAP.
Thank you again!