1st clutch of radiated eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mking

5 Year Member
I am so excited. Today I found my first nest. There was only 4 eggs and I broke one excavating :( but it is still exciting for me. Now I need to find out how to incubate them. Last I read they need a diapause. Any information on incubating is appreciated. I have successfully hatched redfoot and cherryfoot eggs but this is my first radiated. I think I attached a photo of the parents.

Attachments

• radiated.jpg
    radiated.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 411

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Congrats Mary Lee. Good deal. Tom didn't want to help you out with them :D? They do require a diapause.

mking

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Congrats Mary Lee. Good deal. Tom didn't want to help you out with them :D? They do require a diapause.

hey, Thanks!
I've talked to Tom before a long time ago but I don't have his email anymore. I didn't purchase mine from Tom. Do you have his contact information? These eggs are really muddy. Do I wash them off? I usually don't wash my eggs. i know what temperature to incubate but I have no idea what temperature to diapause and how long? First batch doesn't always hatch but at least I can try.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I will call you here shortly and give you a bunch of breeders info. I do have his info, and some more you can call and talk to about it. I would not wash them, but maybe sponge the mud off. Either way it wont really affect the hatching of them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Soo sooo excited for you! How neat! I can't wait to see the little guys when they emerge. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just cool them down for about 30 days or so around high 60s and then proceed with 86-88 until they hatch. If you don't notice any embryonic growth about a few months in, might cool them again for another 30 days. If that doesn't work then they probably weren't fertilized.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Congratulations on first clutch. So wonderful to see another radiata breeds. Good luck with hatchlings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats. It would be fantastic if you could get them to hatch. What state are you in?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, congrats!
How long is their incubation?

Ann from CT

Cresent

5 Year Member
Congratulations for the eggs wish it Will successs with the baby

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
First congrats on the eggs!! I would do them the same way I hatch out my Burmese Stars. Just as Kelly stated, 30 days cool 60-65,then incubate86-89 depending on sex . I would give them about 6-7 weeks to start to develop and if nothing is happening I would cool then again.
Good Luck and I can't wait to see the babies!!:)
Ken

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hey Mary Lee. How are these eggs doing? Should be seeing some sort of growth now being in incubation and out of diapause.

mking

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Hey Mary Lee. How are these eggs doing? Should be seeing some sort of growth now being in incubation and out of diapause.

two are chalking but I don't see any veins when I candle them. I got another 7 eggs from her on August 28.

I did get some information from two local radiated breeders. One said that his experience is that the eggs are not fertile for a couple years but of course I will keep trying anyway. This breeder also said that he is unsure of the benefits of diapausing. Last year he diapaused all the eggs and got his lowest hatch rate and he has had them hatch or not hatch with both diapause and no diapause. Just thought that was interesting but I am going to try the method suggested of putting them back to diapause again on some to see it that increases hatchlings. The other breeder said that it was good that she laid again because they usually lay every 42 days once they get going so that was encouraging. He also said that he doesn't diapause at a specific temperature but he guessed that his garage was between 50- 65 degrees in the winter where he puts the eggs. He suggested incubating at 88-89 degrees and that his hatched in about 90 days. I am excited to be starting the process of hatching the radiated. This day seemed like it would never come. Now I am looking forward to the first hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.