18 pound Redfoot not eating. "Yawning."

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I know this might not pertain to your situation, but I acquired a large male around the same size earlier this year. I was told he was wc however in captivity for years. I really have a hard time believing that he has been in captivity that long.. during his quarantine he didn't eat for 18 days. Finally he gave in and started chowing down... then once he got the clear Bill of health and his quarantine was over he went through the stress all over again when I put him in the big pen with the two females. This time he went 14days of no eating and just hiding in the corner. He was again snapped out of it, but maybe the older tortoises just go through a longer "cold shoulder" period longer.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know this might not pertain to your situation, but I acquired a large male around the same size earlier this year. I was told he was wc however in captivity for years. I really have a hard time believing that he has been in captivity that long.. during his quarantine he didn't eat for 18 days. Finally he gave in and started chowing down... then once he got the clear Bill of health and his quarantine was over he went through the stress all over again when I put him in the big pen with the two females. This time he went 14days of no eating and just hiding in the corner. He was again snapped out of it, but maybe the older tortoises just go through a longer "cold shoulder" period longer.
I appreciate every bit of advise that anyone gives me. I do hope that she comes around and that I don't wind up with a whole group of sick tortoises!
At this point, the reality is that if she has something horrible, they all do. My back yard is like 1,400 square feet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
An update:
Today I was feeding the tortoises and I found poo and small worms in my not eating Redfoots water pool.
I ran to get my magnifier glass. Crap. Pinworms dead from Diatomaceous Earth! I was sure.
Then I noticed that everything in my yard with any water in it had the same worms. Closer inspection revealed that they were all small earthworms coming out because of the recent rains.
However, she DID poo in the water. She hasnt pooped in about three weeks...and as I was cleaning out the pool, she walked over and ate a piece of Romaine right in front of me. Crazy.
I put much more in front of her, but she only ate the one small maybe 3" square. I wonder if she also dined on worms around the pool.
Progress at any rate.
I'm feeling good about her chances.
I hope that the photo doesn't gross anyone out.
I wanted to include it to show why I was alarmed.

Attachments

• 20150430_150708.jpg
    20150430_150708.jpg
    807.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
An update:
Today I was feeding the tortoises and I found poo and small worms in my not eating Redfoots water pool.
I ran to get my magnifier glass. Crap. Pinworms dead from Diatomaceous Earth! I was sure.
Then I noticed that everything in my yard with any water in it had the same worms. Closer inspection revealed that they were all small earthworms coming out because of the recent rains.
However, she DID poo in the water. She hasnt pooped in about three weeks...and as I was cleaning out the pool, she walked over and ate a piece of Romaine right in front of me. Crazy.
I put much more in front of her, but she only ate the one small maybe 3" square. I wonder if she also dined on worms around the pool.
Progress at any rate.
I'm feeling good about her chances.
I hope that the photo doesn't gross anyone out.
I wanted to include it to show why I was alarmed.

That would have freaked me out to. Anyways glad she's pooping and slowly eating. I guess some tortoises just need longer to adjust than others.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Darn. When I had time I put two worms under my microscope and they are indeed ROUNDWORM adults!
Time for Panacur!
The others have been eating some Diotomacious Earth with food and I don't expect much trouble, however, I've got to treat them all.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

Good information! I've heard of this before too so I guess that some older long term animals can get stressed and go 'off feed' for a while.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Three of my four tortoises have been with me for only a few weeks.
Only one has had even the slightest outward signs of being stressed.
I have more than one issue.
I can't wait to get it all sorted and I will NOT be looking for more.